Poopy! I command you -- stay soft!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Poopy! I command you -- stay soft!

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 15 Jun 2007, 09:44

So I changed my diet (more fiber, more fruits/veggies, more water) and I had four days of really soft poop, little pain, no bleeding. I'm not even taking stool softeners.
Then yesterday, my poop was hard as a rock...and I suffered a re-tear. I crapped two more times...each time it was definitely harder than usual. I don't get it. Here's what I ate the day before:
High fiber cereal and soy milk
Banana
Grilled salmon stuffed with tofu cream cheese, tomatos, broccoli
Fruit drink (pear, peaches, wheat grass, pineapple)
Chinese veggies and rice and brown sauce
Lots of water
I've eaten much worse and still had soft poop. I stayed out later than usual the night before (I wasn't drinking alcohol or anything). I was probably a little more stressed than usual. And I didn't drink a glass of water right when I got up in the morning. But I can't imagine these things would make my poop hard the entire next day. Anyone have any thoughts? I feel like I'm screwed...because even if I alter my diet, eventually I'm going to have a hard stool which I can't control, and the moment I do, I'll be back to square one. Stupid fissure.
steve
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Re: Poopy! I command you -- stay soft!

Postby Guest » 15 Jun 2007, 10:04

I'm sorry Steve-I know exactly how you feel. You do everything you know to do and you do the same things and then your body lets you down like that.
I really doubt you are back to square one. Really! I used to think that but I never went back to square one. I had some set backs but each time it took less and less time to get back on track.
Just looking at your diet, the only thing I might recommend is getting rid of the banana. I doubt that was the culprit but they can be consipating for many people.
What would you think if you were to maybe add some fish oil or flax seed oil into your diet? Maybe a spoonful in the evening to see how that does for you? Or you can get some capsules. Or maybe a little aloe vera? When ever I get off track and bleed I up the fish or flax seed oil a bit so the next day it is even more lubricated. I also like taking acidopholis supplements-though I think most probiotic formulas are good for digestion.
Hang in there-and don't worry-tomorrow will be better!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Jun 2007, 10:09

I wouldn't go off the stool softener unless you had a good reason to. It may have made some difference...
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 15 Jun 2007, 11:03

Do you have IBS-C? I was diagnosed with it a long time ago, but it does seem to flare when I am stressed out or tired. That might be the culprit.
Otherwise, the only thing I notcied is that some of your fibers are a little bit rough. I know it's an individual thing, but I always have a problem with grain fibers like psyllium and bran. They seem to turn hard in my intestines no matter how much water I drink. (I have been tested for an allergy, but don't seem to have one.) Maybe replace the bran cereal with a can of peas or beans or a nice big bowl full of cherries. You can broil yourself a tomatoe and pretend you're in the UK and having a full English breakfast (minus the sausage, bacon and toast...)
Also, I agree with Lecia. It is unlikely that you are back to square one. You may feel like that for a couple of days, but that should soon pass, and yuo'll be back on the road to healing.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 15 Jun 2007, 18:16

Thanks for all your advice/support. Yeah, I actually didn't feel too bad today...not as bad as i would have a couple of weeks ago following a similar episode.
Lecia, I actually bought some flax seed supplements but haven't tried them yet. Maybe I will. I might also try to drop the bananas...i didn't have a problem last week with bananas, but the ones i ate this week were quite ripe.
Kim, I was never on stool softeners. My doc said not to bother...I have an appointment with a new doc though in july. i might try some colace between now and then if i have more hard stool issues.
bg, no, i haven't been diagnosed with ibs-c. but thanks for the fiber advice.
Thanks again, everyone!!
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby SunshineHope » 16 Jun 2007, 13:39

Hey Steve,
Maybe you weren't drinking as much water as usual? That usually happens to me if I haven't been drinking enough water, or missed a day of pooping (happens once in a while when I have exams or am too stressed and not eating properly)... I think a lot of fibre can also cause BMs like that, unless we're drinking lots of water/liquids (anybody correct me if I'm wrong)
I stopped having bananas like 7 months ago, they made my tummy feel weird and were also super constipating. Not sure if they'd cause a hard BM but I stay far away from them b/c of the constipating effect.
I'm sure it'll get better, Ive had lots of days like that but I always get back to healing.. Take care
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 17 Jun 2007, 16:25

Thanks for the advice, SH. I think I was getting enough water...except for missing a glass early in the day. But I definitely need to be more vigilant in keeping track of exactly how much water I drink a day. Since that "bad day", I had one good day followed by another bad day (today).
Today I had bleeding but only very minor discomfort periodically throughout the day. I don't know which I find more demoralizing -- the bleeding or the discomfort.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 17 Jun 2007, 16:39

Today I had bleeding but only very minor discomfort periodically throughout the day. I don't know which I find more demoralizing -- the bleeding or the discomfort.
I hear ya on that one-I don't know either. They both pretty much suck!
What you could do to help with your water intake is to measure out how much you need for the day and keep it in the fridge. That way you know when you have met your quota.

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 17 Jun 2007, 16:46

Good idea, Lecia. Thanks. Maybe I'll leave a liter at home, and take a liter to work.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 19 Jun 2007, 17:42

also, i would recommend to use a lubricant as a pre-BM helper.
get some vaseline or better yet, palmer's cocoa butter with vitamin e to lube your bum before you release the BM. this will help a bit.
i also use to like to get a wad of toilet paper and soak it with hot water and apply 3 or 4 times to the anus and let the anus soak up the hot water, and apply especially to the tender/trouble area. do this before and after you have cleaned your BM.
blow dry. and then reapply the moisturizer for the day.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74