Post Surgery Activities

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post Surgery Activities

Postby small_flower » 01 Feb 2007, 15:38

Hello ladies and gents,
As you all know, my surgery is scheduled for the 15th of february, and I am, for the most part...psyched. What I began thinking about has mostly to do with post surgery questions.
1. How long were you on the couch for? I am planning on being on the couch for at least a week, if not more. My surgeon said it takes 2 weeks to heal, and I dont want to mess with the healing process, so I wasn't planning on doing anything.
2. Because I wasn't planning on being very active, I started to think about what I could do to occupy my time? I am a book worm, so books are good, and I thought about starting to knit, because I used to do it and found it relaxing. Theres always the TV and sleeping, but I was just wondering how you guys all kept yourself busy?
3. How soon after your surgery did you start driving again? I have heard that being in a car, something about the motion, or maybe the bumps, can really irritate your fissure. So how long should I wait before driving? I have another appointment on the 23rd, so I think I should be fine by then, but I was just wondering.
Thanks all, i'll keep you posted.
xo
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: Post Surgery Activities

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 Feb 2007, 19:07

1. How long were you on the couch for? I am planning on being on the couch for at least a week, if not more. My surgeon said it takes 2 weeks to heal, and I dont want to mess with the healing process, so I wasn't planning on doing anything.
I was told it would take 2-3 weeks...I was back at work full-time in under two but I was still a bit shakey! :bounce:
Theres always the TV and sleeping, but I was just wondering how you guys all kept yourself busy?
TV and sleeping Image
How soon after your surgery did you start driving again? I have heard that being in a car, something about the motion, or maybe the bumps, can really irritate your fissure. So how long should I wait before driving?
I was told not to drive for a week. I waited exactly one week! Then I got the heck outta the house!! Image
Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!
Hugh
Deleted User 5

Postby Cheryl » 02 Feb 2007, 18:29

small_flower wrote:How long were you on the couch for? I am planning on being on the couch for at least a week, if not more. My surgeon said it takes 2 weeks to heal, and I dont want to mess with the healing process, so I wasn't planning on doing anything.

Hi Kate :hi:
I was on the couch for 1.5 weeks, then straight back to work :| I needed about another half of week to be completely ready for going back to work, but there's nothing like being chucked in the deep end Image I guess though it all depends on what you eat, how your BM's are etc
I can t remember if i told you but when i came home from hospital, they put me on too many laxatives, this almost killed me, for three days, instead of having nice soft fluffy BM's I was having runny burning ones. Once I figured it all out, I dropped the lax's kept up with my fibre supps and stool softener, and just ate lots of soft mushy meals, like fish, really well boiled vegies and fruits. I believe these are the things that aid in a quick recovery.
small_flower wrote:Because I wasn't planning on being very active, I started to think about what I could do to occupy my time? I am a book worm, so books are good, and I thought about starting to knit, because I used to do it and found it relaxing. Theres always the TV and sleeping, but I was just wondering how you guys all kept yourself busy?

Reading for the first two days was out for me, i still felt a bit nauseas. But after that was fine. Books, surfin the net, in a comfy chair, get some videos and lay down.. DO NOT DO ANY HOUSEWORK!!!! And no heavy lifting or straining!
small_flower wrote:How soon after your surgery did you start driving again? I have heard that being in a car, something about the motion, or maybe the bumps, can really irritate your fissure. So how long should I wait before driving? I have another appointment on the 23rd, so I think I should be fine by then, but I was just wondering.

My ride home in the car hurt, was very tender, and the road to my house (40 min drive) happens to be extremely bumpy!!
The first time I actually drove was about a week after, and i just went to the shops quickly. I dont remember the driving having any discomfort other than getting in and out of the car..
Hope this helps Kate,
i bet you are counting down the days!!
Cheryl :D
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Guest » 03 Feb 2007, 17:43

Hi Kate
Id give yourself a couple of weeks on the couch, if you dont end up needing that much the extra healing time will be beneficial anyway.
Get a good book, a few movies, perhaps a board or card game with friends or family.
Goodluck, keep us posted
Annie
:kiss: