Can anyone help me with a list of foods to eat/avoid?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Can anyone help me with a list of foods to eat/avoid?

Postby smiles18 » 28 Nov 2013, 12:58

Hey guys,

I am gluten, dairy, and meat free. My diet is already so limited so I hate to pick more things to cut out but I think it is necessary for the next few months. So far, I have cut out coffee for the most part...and hard foods that might cause more tears.

I'm just having a hard time picking foods that are high in protein (for healing), and soluble fibre. I just don't want to create more bulk, and a lot of the foods that I eat seem to be high in insoluble fibre. I'm just looking for a quick list of foods that might help with healing. I think oranges are good- high vitamin C, and high soluble fibre (so says one source..they all seem to say different things).

Is there anything else I can add to my diet to help heal? Anything to avoid that might cause bulk/re-tears?

Thanks everyone!
smiles18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Can anyone help me with a list of foods to eat/avoid?

Postby jr2 » 28 Nov 2013, 13:25

Are you meat free because you were already vegetarian? Because really, chicken, turkey, fish and even eggs shouldn't be a problem as protein sources as they are mostly fully assimilated in the small intestine and don't leave much residue in the colon. The reason people think they are constipating is because they don't leave much residue in the colon, so if you don't combine them with other things it can slow transit time, but those foods themselves leave very little residue in the colon to be excreted. (If you are a vegetarian for other reasons, just ignore what I just said).

I've found conflicting information too when it comes to online sources and charts about insoluble and soluble fiber. So, I've just done my own experimenting. Grains, including brown rice, are the worst for me in terms of too much bulk. The only exception is gluten free oatmeal, which works well for me. Vegetables and fruit are generally less bulk producing for me. But I usually stick with vegetables and fruits that along the way I've discovered don't bulk things up. So, eating an apple, for example. I never eat the peel, which is insoluble. Oranges are good, but I make sure not to eat much of the tough white membrane part. Strawberries and blueberries work well. Peas, green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach (cooked), squash (no skin) all work well. Cooking vegetables (and even cooking fruit) helps to break down some of the fibers in them and I find much less bulking and far more softening effects than if I try to eat anything raw.

Unfortunately, there is no one list that will work for everyone because everyone has different responses to foods. For instance, bananas and potatoes (without skin) aren't any problem for me, but some people feel they need to avoid them. In fact, my problem is trying to figure out how to go less because I have so many digestive problems.

Oh, also, fat is actually the most powerful natural laxative there is and it doesn't produce any bulk. So, increasing your healthy fats like olive oil, flax seed oil, and/or coconut oil can really help make stool easier to pass.

It can really also be helpful to write down what you've eaten and then note the result in stool consistency every day so you can spot trends and get an idea of what to include and what to avoid.

We're kind of all in this great big laboratory trying to get it right and it takes a lot of experimenting. Unfortunately, a bad day in the lab also can mean mean days, weeks of setbacks in progress.
jr2

Topics: 15