Any females of childbearing age get LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Any females of childbearing age get LIS?

Postby smiles18 » 10 Nov 2013, 13:03

I know that the risk for incontinence is a bit higher for women who might have children one day.. has anyone taken the risk to get LIS before having children? I don't even know if I want children, but you never know.. I'm only 22 and I don't want to be incontinent for the rest of my life..but I also don't want to be in pain. It's so hard to make this decision with all the risks :(
smiles18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Any females of childbearing age get LIS?

Postby sugarspice » 22 Nov 2013, 15:53

Hi smiles18,

I can 'kind of' help to answer this but not totally. I have two children (and am of childbearing age) and probably won't have anymore, but when I went to ask my CRS about botox or LIS he said he would do the LIS but it would depend on how long my sphincter muscle is, the longer it is the better apparently. He ended up giving me botox in the end (once he had had a look) but that was personal to me. I would speak to your CRS about it all in more detail. I'm sure your chances are higher of having no problems with LIS (if you are of childbearing age) if you have a long sphincter, but I'm no expert, this is just what my CRS told me. I wish you the best of luck, I got to the stage where I would have done or risked anything to be out of pain!! lol
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby vdb324 » 22 Nov 2013, 22:52

Bumping up. I am also curious, because if the second round of Botox doesn't work, I am up for LIS.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby skumar » 04 Dec 2013, 09:17

I was that told I would not able to deliver normally. But again every doctor is different. So did you do LIS?
skumar
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Scientist2516 » 04 Dec 2013, 10:11

I was curious about why having children is a risk after LIS.
Is it the child-birth itself that's the problem? Or is it the pressure on your pelvic floor from being pregnant? Or both?
If it's just the birthing that's the problem, a caesarian seems like the best choice.

I had 2 caesarians for different reasons, and they were both perfectly fine. I was sorry to miss out on the experience of childbirth, but when I held my babies, none of that mattered any more.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby jr2 » 04 Dec 2013, 13:54

When i was still in that age range (and coping with fissures then too), the CRS didn't want to do LIS because of the added risk of incontinence with childbirth, but the OB/GYN said she would just do a C-section. In fact, she said she recommended a C-Section whether I had surgery or not since I had a history of fissures and she thought it would be a better idea not to put any more stress in the area with a vaginal delivery. I never thought to ask the CRS if the pregnancy itself would create more of an incontinence risk or if it was just the delivery that was the risky part. That would be a good question to ask the colorectal surgeon.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby skumar » 05 Dec 2013, 10:46

I understand. I went for c-section for the same reason. Now my daughter is 1 month old and I went thru LIS, fissurectomy , skin tag removal on dec 2nd. Going crazy now.
skumar
Salt Bather

Topics: 2