New Here! Introducing Myself

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New Here! Introducing Myself

Postby MyBehindHurts » 05 Dec 2013, 20:44

Hi Everyone! I am so happy that I stumbled upon this Forum and have already gained new insight into a problem that has been plaguing me for a bit over a year now.

I was diagnosed with my fissure a year ago after seeing a doctor who failed to even diagnose it. My current GI doctor put me on Miralax and Nefedipine Ointment. My spasms and bleeding went away quickly with this regimen, but I stressed it again in about two months.

After doubling the single dose of Miralax I was taking and starting more frequent Nefedipine applications, I was back on a no bleeding and no spasm path. I even became a vegetarian in hopes that it would discipline me on my food choices and basically make me eat beans and veggies to get enough fiber. I drink enough water for a dessert camel to last an eternity. I continue to eat healthy and try to relax even though work gets pretty stressful.

All was well until about a month ago when my fissure reopened. Now, it's come back with a vengence. Upping my Miralax dose seems to no longer do anything, and my stomach can't even handle it. I still eat well, apply Nefedipine, and take sitz baths. Still, bleeding...every time.

The good news is that I rarely get spasms like I used to. It's really just blood with the bowel movements and occasional soreness, which I'm sure is my hemorrhoid. I guess I'm luck in that way, but I just want to stop bleeding. My thoughts are constantly focused on hoping that the bleeding will stop. I'm only 27, so having to deal with this is so disconcerting, especially when I try to eat well, get enough fiber and water, and sleep well.

I didn't realize what a rollercoaster this would be...I'm not even optimistic anymore, and really dread eating anything, regardless of the fiber content. Stress makes it worse, but it continually stresses me out. I can't buy out Costco's supply of Miralax and I hate feeling like there's something so wrong with me when, on the outside, I am healthy and happy.

Anyway, I hope to read more about your success stories and totally sympathize with your pain. This has totally consumed my life recently, and I just want it to be manageable.
MyBehindHurts

Topics: 1

Re: New Here! Introducing Myself

Postby Savaici » 05 Dec 2013, 21:43

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your trials with the dreaded anal fissure.

I too have a tendency towards bleeding with each BM and have, by trial and error, worked out a diet that gives me the least problems. I am a vegetarian too, and I take care that I do not overload my system with too much fibre. I worked out just how much to take for my weight and I stick to that. There is a lot of advice on here about fibre, and the search facility, top right, is very useful.

With whatever you use to help your bowel movement along, if you are taking too much, just *gradually* reduce it until you fnd the right amount. It is often very difficult to do this, with painful trial and error. Believe me, I know all about it!

Sometimes it's good on here to post what you are eating - you could use the diaries to keep track of it all and this also allows opportunity for others to offer advice.

I notice that you are seeing a GI doctor and would recommend that you consider seeing a Colon and Rectal surgeon instead, if at all possible. They are not just for surgery but the most experienced in AFs and such.

All the best, and we are here to help where we can.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Wheatgrass » 05 Dec 2013, 22:08

I got my AF on 28 September 2013 and I live in Columbus Ohio.Cirucell twice daily.One Colace Ditilizem 2% sitz baths.This is my 2nd one. I had my first one in 1982.I would rather die than have a GI doc over test me again.I had to do 2 preps.One for colonscopy and one for Bariium enima. They ripped me wide open just to prove what I already knew.During the Barium they pushed me so hard against the xray that the butt blug blew out.AND DO YOU KNOW WHT THEY FOUND ABSOLUTLY NOTHING.STAY AWAY FROM STIMULENT LAXATIVES
Wheatgrass

Postby MyBehindHurts » 06 Dec 2013, 06:39

Thanks Savaici! I am really appreciating the support already and it's nice to talk to people who have the same thing. I feel bad about spoiling family dinners or happy hours with friends over my behind issues.

Yes, I do see a surgeon. He has been taking care of me for a year and is very against any time of surgical intervention for me - probably because it's not that bad and I'm still younger than a lot of his patients. I am going soon to get a second opinion just in case. It seems, from reading the forum, that it is really about trial and error - finding what works for you and everyone is different.

Thanks again and will be sure to read the discussion topics more as I log in.
MyBehindHurts

Topics: 1