Someone please talk to me.

Fissurectomy/possible sphincterotomy scheduled

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Someone please talk to me.

Postby MattMecham » 10 Dec 2013, 20:08

I had absolutely zero fissure pain while recovering. My tailbone ached for a couple of days, but fissure pain? It was not, and is not, there.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby vdb324 » 10 Dec 2013, 21:14

Ha, that's weird. I also had tailbone pain after the Botox and tag removal. Must be that any surgery out there just has some residual soreness/inflammation that spreads around. The tailbone pain, in my experience, was more tolerable than the fissure muscle spasms for the record.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby Joe54 » 11 Dec 2013, 09:08

I suffered with a fissure for 8 years before I decided to get it repaired surgically. You're making the right choice IMO. I've never been able to wipe clean pretty much my whole life so I'm with you there about not going to the bathroom in public. I only have a BM where I can shower right after unless it's a dire circumstance and I need to go 'right now'

as for wiping the thing I have found that helps the most is to use metamucil several times throughout the day. for me it seems like it holds everything together and sort of puts a slick coating on the outside of the stool so there's hardly any mess. You'll probably get mixed feelings about metamucil, miralax, etc on this board. opinions are like a-holes haha so you can always try different options to see what works best for you. Post surgery miralax was my best friend but it comes with a sense of urgency I never had before. Grocery stores sell those antibacterial wipes with aloe in them. They are a godsend. I buy them in the plastic container but I bet you can get small packs that are similar to the little pocket-sized tissues this way you can keep them in your car or in your desk at work or in your backpack for school and never be without them. After my operation I kept a box of 4x4 sterile cotton pads on hand at all times. For the times when all the wiping in the world doesn't fix ya those cotton pads are a lifesaver and an undie saver. you won't get the irritation from the cotton pads that you could get from using TP the same way.

good luck.
Joe54

Topics: 1

Postby Jsingh » 11 Dec 2013, 22:59

I also had surgery done by a surgeon out of great neck...the post op pain in my opinion is quite easily manageable...I did not need anything more than advil...although I do still have some issues post surgery recovery is the rule..can you tell me the name of the surgeon who is going to do your surgery?..the most important thing is having an experienced surgeon do the procedure...wish you luck.
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Scared21yearold » 12 Dec 2013, 06:37

Hi Jsingh,

That's awesome! I got my second opinion from Dr. Frank Caliendo from North Shore LIJ and and I'm getting the surgery done by William B. Smithy at Stony Brook Hospital(who I've been seeing)
Scared21yearold
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Jsingh » 12 Dec 2013, 09:44

Frank Caliendo did my surgery...I also considered going to Smithy but he was far from where I was..both are good.
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Postby Scared21yearold » 12 Dec 2013, 10:13

How long ago did you have your surgery??
Scared21yearold
Fibre Addict

Postby Jsingh » 12 Dec 2013, 10:22

My surgery was done a little more than 3 months ago..
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Postby Scared21yearold » 12 Dec 2013, 10:41

Do you mind telling me what issues you still have? Thanks a lot
Scared21yearold
Fibre Addict

Postby Jsingh » 12 Dec 2013, 10:58

I have discussed these in my othe r posts...but let me reassure you that those issues are not the norm and happen in less than 1 percent of the people who have the surgery.....the vast majority of the people are fine..so do not let any negative thoughts enter your mind..with your young age the healing will also be quicker..just stay positive and get this over with..you will be fine.
Jsingh
Salt Bather