levator ani syndrome and anxiety

The mind can cause pain

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

levator ani syndrome and anxiety

Postby alfa147adam » 12 Dec 2013, 14:13

Hi all, I suffer from stress indused pelvic pain. Ache and pressure in my rectum. Sometimes in my tail bone area and sometimes just underneath my testicles. Suffered for 5 years and all sorts of scans and tests have come back negative. I know it is caused or made worse by over thinking about it. It goes away when I am relaxed or completely distracted. I get a flutter feeling in that area sometimes. I can sit there totaly fine and then think to myself oh I haven't had that pain for a while and then wham it comes. Its always worse at work or when I am stressed. It is all I can think about sometimes and it can get on top of me. If I am drunk it is fine lol. Anyone else suffer with this problem?? The mind can cause me some weird things and problems.
alfa147adam
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: levator ani syndrome and anxiety

Postby rio » 13 Dec 2013, 14:08

Hi Alfa!
I remember I read about similar pain and cramps in pelvic and anal area, very painful. A man that had such problems was not understood by doctors, he had no fissures or hems, but has a lot of mental sres from his career and work. He went to the acupuncturist (a man with a long experience in acupuncture, diet and special exercises). He had some acu sessions, made special exercises like "walking with the buttocks" and learn to meditate and relax along with changes in diet (more raw food, no dairy ...). And he said it helped him a lot.

Pain in this area is really awful. What about the pain from still existing fissure(s)? Is this diferent? Do you have any burning pain and inflammation?
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Postby alfa147adam » 14 Dec 2013, 14:41

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I get a burning pain and a sort of crawling sensation around the anus. Can feel my heart beating in my anus if that makes sense. Its all a tension cycle. I focus sooooo much on this area it just makes me tense up all day long. Its agony sometimes. I have had 2 weeks off work to rest and it went away virtually completely but its coming back today. Sorry to be rude but it feels like I have a poo sitting in my rectum all the time. Its so wierd how anxiety can affect your body.
alfa147adam
Fibre Addict

Postby alfa147adam » 14 Dec 2013, 14:42

Should I feel guilty for having time off work??? I am to caring about pleasing my bosses
alfa147adam
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 14 Dec 2013, 23:25

NO you should not feel guilty. You must take care of yourself, or how can you get better? It's understandable that other people don't realise what you are going through, but remember, they don't know! Only you know. There is no need to feel guilty whatsoever.
:smilyhug:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby alfa147adam » 15 Dec 2013, 05:48

Thanks for the reply. I do worry too much about what people think behind my back. I wish they could feel how I feel so they could understand. I let it take me over too much. I can't believe anxiety and stress can do this to ur body. I am a motor vehicle mechanic which involves lifting and being on my feet all day which doesn't help. Levator ani syndrome or ibs?? I don't know. I know I get relief for a brief moment when I poop or pass gas as my anus relaxes but then it tenses up again. If I just press on my butt hole it eases the discomfort. The power of the mind is unbelievable. What it can do to ur body. How it can make u feel. It has to be caused by stress? Why does it come on at a stressful time and why does it ease off or go away when I am relaxed and care free. Still worrying about work though as they are short staffed as it is. Do I go back in tomorrow or do I rest up. I have already had nearly 3 weeks off. Help me haha.
alfa147adam
Fibre Addict

Postby alfa147adam » 15 Dec 2013, 05:57

Or do I not let it beat me and go to work??
alfa147adam
Fibre Addict

Postby Rachael 1984 » 15 Dec 2013, 05:58

Hi Alfa Adam,
I know how you feel... I had 5 months off work when my fissure hell started. I couldn't work because the pain took over my whole life. I took Antidepressants which helped a lot. Work understood and I told them why I was off for so long. I then had Botox which helped for a while, but I still have Fissures, and I have IBS. I sometimes get the feeling of fullness even though I don't need a BM. My IBS is so much more under control after following the FODMAP plan for IBS which I have done under a registered dietician. Do you get bloating, cramps, the runs, constipation or both? Have you had a diagnosis at all? The FODMAP has saved my life, and my IBS is under control for the first time in years. I don't strain now or get constipated and food doesn't go straight through me either like it used to. Just need to kill the Fissures now. Sigh. I do hope you can get some form of solution to this problem. Xx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby alfa147adam » 15 Dec 2013, 12:15

Hi thanks for the reply. I don't really suffer with the runs or constipation. I get bad gas and cramps but the biggest feeling is the pressure in my anus. When I pass gas it relieves it but then comes on again. Its bad all day but at least it doesn't stop me sleeping. I do get the feeling of incomplete evacuation. But I know stress causes it or makes it worse. I have a few little fissures. Blood on tissue and sometimes in the poop. This has been diagnosed and is under control. I get these wierd twitches in that area as if my muscles are spasming and then relaxing. I also just have extreme tension down there and its doing my head in.
alfa147adam
Fibre Addict

Postby Poo-ologist » 23 Dec 2013, 12:03

Hi Alfa Adam!

Sorry to hear of your struggles! I'm a newbie & stumbled upon your post. It almost sounds like me! Now I must google levator ani syndrome! I just wish I could get a definite diagnosis! All the best with the healing & try to rest up when possible & relax! :)
Poo-ologist
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1