Running and bms

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Running and bms

Postby vdb324 » 16 Dec 2013, 20:58

Any runners out here with an AF?
I was running at least a little bit up until my first Botox treatment in October. I received approval to start back up after the second round, but I am nervous.
Running always makes me have to have another bm it seems, and I spend part of the run trying to walk quickly to use a bathroom. This makes me nervous because I am thinking this induced (extra) bm isn't good for the AF nor is trilling to hold it in until I make it home.
I think I am best probably waiting a bit to start back up, seeing I seem to be somewhat healing. It's just frustrating, seeing I have gained weight since I stopped. I am starting back up with walking, but even that got my intestines moving today. It's weird and frustrating.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Re: Running and bms

Postby Scientist2516 » 16 Dec 2013, 22:19

I totally know what you are talking about! I have been trying to get fit by running, but when my fissure started, first it just hurt too much to run, and then, I can't do my morning run until after the BM (because I don't want to be caught short during the run), and then after the BM I have to sit on my hot water bottle for a while.........
I could run in the evenings, that would be fine, except I have a family who want dinner, so I have to cook and then eat, and after eating I can't run.
I put on some weight because the fissure made walking so painful I was just crawling along, and avoided any physical activity. Now I can walk at my normal pace and I've started walking upstairs instead of taking the lift, the weight has come off again.
I do wish I could run though!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby vdb324 » 16 Dec 2013, 22:52

Yes! And then to add insult to injury (quite literally), the resident doctor always asks if I have had any weight loss. I always say no, unfortunately only weight gain. His response, "Well, that's good. We don't want you losing weight."
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Scientist2516 » 16 Dec 2013, 22:56

Well, I see what he means. Some people here do lose a lot of weight because there are so few things they can eat. I feel lucky by comparison! And if your doc says it's good you aren't losing weight, you probably are not overweight.
It is discouraging though. I mean, I used to be able to walk up the stairs to my office without getting exhausted (it's six flights, so I would be puffing a bit). And now I get exhausted. I have to get my fitness back!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Superfissure » 17 Dec 2013, 17:38

Does running not make it worse? I've had two fissures immediately after running in the past, and I don't usually do running, so now completely avoid it but hiking is fine for me.
Superfissure
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby vdb324 » 18 Dec 2013, 06:49

I think it depends on where your fissure is located and how much pain it is causing you, if you can run. Running is not off-limits, though, and it's actually good at keeping you "regular." I never had pain problems from running with my fissure besides when I first got it and everything was inflamed, but just the having to use a bathroom right away while on a run became a problem. I haven't heard it causes fissures, but who knows?

I totally get the "out of breath" thing. I am anxious to start again, but also a little frustrated about having to start all over again. Once I am out of the schedule, getting back in and retraining is always difficult!
Hiking has worked well for me, most times, as long as I know I won't have to use the bathroom, which I can't always guarantee post-Botox.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist