mucus and a seton

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

mucus and a seton

Postby carmona81 » 08 Dec 2013, 04:28

I have a seton, is it normal to have mucus looking stuff after I wipe? This is grossing me out! Also, when I go to the RR, I sit there for what seems like forever and have not so much come out. I feel like I want to push but am so frightened I could hurt myself. So I don't feel much relief after going. I go once a day unless I have an upset stomach. Is this normal?
carmona81
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: mucus and a seton

Postby diamond2 » 13 Dec 2013, 01:15

Once a day is perfectly normal - I think you only need to worry if you're not going for more than 3 days actually. I personally freaked when I missed a day while healing and my nurses all told me that's perfectly normal. If not much is coming up, have you tried increasing your fiber intake? Also, are you drinking lots of water? Try eating an apple a day - I also drink a fruit smoothie every morning which helps.

I had 2 setons for a number of months - almost a year - I always had mucus. Does it smell, is it yellow/green? As long as it is clear and doesn't have any funky smells I would say this is normal - the fistula is still draining. If anything looks/smells "off" you could have an infection and you should go to your doc. Other signs of infection would be weakness, feeling generally unwell and fever.
diamond2
Salt Bather

Postby carmona81 » 13 Dec 2013, 02:31

Normally clear, I'm increasing fiber intake but don't drink much water. Normally soda. It's bad I know!
carmona81
Salt Bather

Postby diamond2 » 13 Dec 2013, 11:49

That could be the issue - water intake is a huge thing! Try to force yourself to drink at least 8 glasses a day. The weeks post-surgery I was trying to force myself to drink around 10 big glasses a day. It'll help everything move along easier. And I swear by eating apples - excellent source of fiber. Bananas are really good as well - I though they would constipate but they're actual good both ways :)

If the drainage is clear I would assume you're okay - I even had some yellowish mucus .. it never smelt funny though.
diamond2
Salt Bather

Postby carmona81 » 21 Dec 2013, 21:31

Thanks!
carmona81
Salt Bather