How did you survive the holidays?

family, food and fun - with a fissure!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How did you survive the holidays?

Postby Scientist2516 » 29 Dec 2013, 23:06

I flew with husband and teens across the country to be with my in-laws for a week. My first Christmas with a fissure (hopefully my last), and it all went really well. Of course, I am healed really, but still have a little pain now and again, and quite a lot of anxiety with going to the toilet, so flying, and staying in somebody else's house is quite stressful.

I am NOT complaining, but it's just all a bit more complicated when you have to make sure you get your fibre, and sit on a hot water bottle, when you don't want to discuss your health with anyone. Not to mention the problem of doing your business without delay when there are nine people and two bathrooms.

Flying tends to put my digestive tract on hold, so I was dead worried about constipation. Then, I don't think my in-laws have ever heard of fibre. Don't get me wrong - the food was delicious. Sea-food galore, crab, smoked salmon, smoked clams; delicious cheeses and prosciutto, roast lamb.......endless sweets, cookies, and on and on. Just, no veg! Even the salads were loaded with more cheese and sea food.

Luckily I was able to make my oatmeal every morning, and there was fruit. I survived.
But I was SO HAPPY to get home and be in control of my diet again!
:rainbow:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: How did you survive the holidays?

Postby rio » 30 Dec 2013, 08:02

I pretty much managed to stay on my usual diet. We have christmas dinner at my friends parents. I was happy to sit for three hours with just a little pain due to zinc oxyde lidocaine suppository and diclofenac cream on my back. They are aware of my situation so I can bring my own food with me which was turkey breasts with carrots (steamed not roasted) boiled potatoes and radicchio salad all with good olive oil. In addition I had some mayonaise a little ice cream, few chocolate pralines, fruit juice (all the prohibited stuff for me) but I was o.k. the next day.
The days after christmas I was getting bolder and treated myself with more chocolate and nuts and a double Mars bar yesterday was not a good choice and I had a tummy pain and a bad dreams. :evil:
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 Dec 2013, 09:05

Hi all,
Glad to read you all enjoyed your Christmas'!
I was very careful to balance anything I ate with loads of water and fruit juices in addition to substituting wholemeal for white breads and ate loads and loads of oranges and extra portions of salads and veggies.......
My biggest issue was probably alcohol since I love my Christmas tipples! (Baileys/ Snowballs/ White wine/ Tequilla!)....and these tended to create more runny stools for me rather than solid stools, so I was happy with that but not with the aggravation it's caused my internal hems!! 2 years on and I'm still very very careful - always will be for sure!.......
It's great to read you managed to enjoy your holiday periods, despite the stress of travelling and different toilets etc...but you do learn to adjust over time and I'm pretty sure that this time next year, things will be a whole lot easier for you again. I truly hope so.....It is possible to get back into a relatively "normal" style of eating again at some point but essential to counter-balance always with the fluids and sufficient fibre.
Wishing you all a great 2014 and lots of further healing :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Superfissure » 31 Dec 2013, 05:24

I just kept mostly to my normal diet with a few treats. Also had a few pastry products but made sure I offset later with more vegetables. Both xmas day and boxing day I had a roast lunch with lots of vegetables while visiting family. ALso made sure I had lots of fluids which is easy to forget about when visiting others.

Rio, do you avoid fruit juices? Usually help me alhtough I stopped any OJ recently as thought the acidity wasn't helping.
Superfissure
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Ever the Optimist » 31 Dec 2013, 08:27

Hi Superfissure,
Small doses of OJ are ok for me but you are right in that it can be harsh on the stomach especially when drunk alone and without food. It can give me stomach upsets too and if my bum is feeling sore, it can burn when I pass a BM! I love squeezing my own OJ but am careful with this. I find apple juice much gentler on the stomach and bottom! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby rio » 01 Jan 2014, 14:52

Many fruit juices usually are to acidic for me. Same as ETO wrote above. I drunk tones of freshly pressed orange juice in the past, but slowly developed some gastritis. But still I can drink freshly pressed apple juice. I find many pasteurized apple juices from the store to much acidic because they usually have citric acid or vitamin C aded. I hate artificial citric acid. I think the tanine in apples is good for intestinal tract. Some people get constipated from it.
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Postby Superfissure » 01 Jan 2014, 16:22

I moved to apple juice from orange juice too although my preference is a mixed fruit smoothie juice (without added sugar). However I eat quite a lot of fruit too so apple juice is enough. I also like to apple juice with hot water to make a nice larger drink (alternative to tea).
Yes I read somewhere before about tanine. Isn't it the case that a fresh apple eaten quickly contains lots of soluble fibre that acts as a natural laxative, yet if you peel an apple (or bite into it) and allow it to brown that can cause constipation.
Superfissure
Salt Bather

Topics: 4