The leakage after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: The leakage after LIS

Postby FissureHome » 07 Jan 2014, 07:00

Im sorry Aim..Wish there was something i could say or do to make your feel better..stay positive..
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby aimonaali » 16 Mar 2014, 10:37

About a month ago I was almost ready to go and write to the "succes stories only" section. I only had minimal discomfort and minimal leakage after BM. But then it got worse again :/ I went to a work reherseal and perhaps it's to do with what they serve at lunch time but my fecies are looset than before and the leakafe is back, it probably never left. I's just so tired of this... It feels like my outer sphincter is left a littele bit open after a BM and it doesn't squeeze out all the fecies when I have a BM. But I don't understand how the outer sphincter could be effected by LIS that is done to the inter sphincger. Or maybe it's just that it's still cramping and that's why I can't reach all the way to clean myself up.

Anyway... Almos a year and a half since the surgery. Somebody please tell me that you had similar problems and they went away eventually?
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby JHH » 19 Mar 2014, 14:42

Sorry about your troubles aimonaali. I cant help you with your question since I havnt had LIS, but please try not to focus too much on this issue. Remember, if you almost felt ready to post a success story, there must be good periods also.

I dont know if things will improve for you or not, but I do know, that your mind can make the problem small or large, and this is something you CAN control.

All the best

J
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby aimonaali » 28 Mar 2014, 11:44

I write here because I just need to talk to someone about this. I'm getting really depressed about this leakage issue. Every time I go back to wipe and there's a lot of shit to clean out I almost cry. It's friday now and I should be out with my friends but I just don't feel like it.

But I did get an appointment for next tuesday to the surgeon that did my LIS. I really hope he has something assuring to say. At least I wanno know what it is that happened to my ass and why didn't he tell me this was possible before the surgery.

I remember before LIS being afraid that something like this might happen. But then I just told to myself that it's really rare to get complications from LIS. I can't really even believe what has happened to me.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby asdf123456 » 28 Mar 2014, 15:31

Weird question....is it possible that if you squeeze really hard after a BM you can squeeze our the excess that seems to be getting stuck? Maybe if you like cough or sneeze really hard, you can flex the muscle tight enough to get the excess out? Also, just curious, how long after a BM do you usually notice the leakage?
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby suzyljank » 28 Mar 2014, 15:51

Hi, I don't know how long ago you had LIS but the muscle returns to about 80% of it's original strength in about a year. I had LIS and had a bit of leakage for a while and then last year I had double advancement flaps. Sometimes quite a while after a bm I have to do a little more clean up but I just do it. It's usually if my stools are soft. Wear a pantyliner, that way if there's a little there it will catch it and all you have to do is wipe up and throw the pad away. Surgery in the anal area does come with some risks any surgery does. Are you in any pain or did the LIS resolve that? Adding a bulking fiber to your diet will firm up your loose stools. I know after my surgery I do pretty well but if I have diarrhea I have to go to the bathroom as soon as I get the urge but getting rid of that awful fissure pain was a godsend. All the best Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby aimonaali » 29 Mar 2014, 07:54

THe squeezing doesn't seem to do much good. It might get something more out but just pushes more fecies to it's place. I don't really dare to squeeze very hard because that mighyt be what caused the fissure to begin with. Also straining isn't good for the muscle. I don't really "notice" the leakage afterwards. Or rather I don't wait to start noticing it. I just know that it's there so I go back to wipe about half an hour later.

I had LIS on november 2012. So it's almost year and a half at this point. And the leakage problem seems to be getting worse over time not better... It didn't start until about two months after the operation. The fissure itself has cured but it did take a long time. However the incision site is still giving me pain. And my whole anus is irritated, burning and itchy a lot off the time. Many times when I pee the muscle starts hurting me. Also, I am a guy and there's no way in hell I'm gonna start wearing pantyliners.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 29 Mar 2014, 09:25

Sorry you're having problems. You could use a piece of gauze if needed. Just get the softer stuff so it doesn't irritate the area. The leakage could be causing the pain. The acid burns the skin, try zinc oxide, it's a pretty good barrier. It's soothing too. I'm almost a year out from my surgery and the incisions sites sometimes still bother me, not all the time but occasionally. I was told to expect that because it takes about 2 years for things to fully settle down. I got a great tip from my grandma, she said to rub castor oil on the scars and incision site. I thought she was kidding but I tried it and it helps tremendously. Castor oil helps melt the scar tissue, it softens it. I just saw my doctor and told her what I was doing and she said it's an old home remedy that works so keep doing it.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby vdb324 » 29 Mar 2014, 09:52

What has worked great for me as a barrier cream is 3M's Cavilion cream. The local pharmacy had to order it in, but it only took 24 hours to get it.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby aimonaali » 01 Apr 2014, 11:10

So I went to see the doctor who did my LIS. Horrible visit. Firstable he told me that there was probably nothing the could do about my problem. He also said that he can't even see that as a problem and basicly got angry at me for "accusing" him of something. Told me that he's never heard such a complaint from any of his oterh patients and that the reason coould be that they are just "so reliefd to get rid of the fissure pain that they wouldn't feel to need to complain about something like that". I also told him that I've been to anohther doctor and that doctor had said that my problem perhaps could be cured with rubber bands. To this, this doctors reaction was almost laughing and saying that if the other doctor could fix me so easily, I should just go and see him. In general he said I should seek help from another doctor since there ws nothing he could do. Didn't even suggest any test that could be done to determine what is the cause of my problem...

Well basicly he was just being an asshole about my asshole. I feel depressed now.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist