Stopping or reducing fibre relieves constipation

Found a good website that has some really handy information?  Post your links here...

Return to References, Websites, Facts...

Stopping or reducing fibre relieves constipation

Postby Savaici » 28 Jul 2013, 11:28

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/
I would want to further research this before acceptance. Sixty people is not a large number, though it was over two years.
Everything in moderation is my motto.Image 
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: Stopping or reducing fibre relieves constipation

Postby Please go-away! » 28 Jul 2013, 15:04

Interesting artical Savaici, I have Divertic, at one point, the medical society said no nut's,at all.
Now they recommend almonds , cashiews, pistachios, well chewed, still no strawberries because the seed's are to small to chew.
And corn, forget about it, hard to digest and can get caught in the diver, pocket's. Bummer, loved my peaches and cream corn, I remember as a child, When my parent's would bring home a bag of fresh corn and me and my sister's would husk it by the garage/ can's outside. Then we would roast them or boil..:( 
Thanks again ....have a great evening.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby jr2 » 28 Jul 2013, 16:24

I'm glad to see some researchers finally challenging the assumption the medical industry has made for years about fiber and constipation. I too hope there will be more studies.
You might want to check out fibermenace.com , and in particular this page on that site... http://fibermenace.com/gutsense/the-causes-of-hemorrhoids-and-anal-fissures.html .Though some of the information on the site I can't agree with based on my own research, it is nice to see other voices questioning this fiber model that everyone has just gotten on board with and accepted as truth for so many years.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby havefaith » 09 Jan 2014, 22:05

i think its awesome how just about everyone with an af has been to fibermenace.com

i too liked his ideas, however, i am really scared to take a chance on it.
I have faith in you always, i love you like my own son or daughter, when you hurt, i hurt. Let us all be each others guiding light, and heal without anxiety :) Much love to all.
havefaith
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby havefaith » 09 Jan 2014, 22:06

i think its awesome how just about everyone with an af has been to fibermenace.com

i too liked his ideas, however, i am really scared to take a chance on it.

sorry for the duplicate but also seems that you cant just buy the book off of his website.... you gotta buy over 75$ worth of stuff, that includes his supplements
I have faith in you always, i love you like my own son or daughter, when you hurt, i hurt. Let us all be each others guiding light, and heal without anxiety :) Much love to all.
havefaith
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 09 Jan 2014, 23:35

Well, both those sites (the scientific paper and fibermenace) were interesting reads.

My husband said something similar about fibre when I was first battling my fissure. He said that eating more fibre and making the stools bigger seemed insane to him. I should eat less and try to have less bulky stools. I read as much as I could to find out what fibre does, and I disagreed with him.

For whatever reason, what I did seemed to work. I ate fibre-rich foods, and still do. I drink a reasonable amount of water - more than I used to. I have one or two bowel movements a day, and they are soft. A bulky stool can come out without straining if it's soft enough.

The fibre part of what Mr Fibermenace says seems to be logical, but when I read the bit about water, and how drinking a lot of water is actually bad, my bullshit detector started to go off.
Truthfully, I would need to do more research and find out how much of what he says is actually true. But some parts of what he says don't ring true at all. He implies that drinking more water doesn't help soften stools because the water you drink doesn't reach the small intestine. But my understanding is that dehydration causes the colon to pull water from the stool to recover it, just as the kidneys also recover water. I also was sceptical of what he says about salts.

It's a bit of a no-win situation, isn't it? If we eat fibre and get constipated, it's because the fibre has made our stools too bulky. And if we cut out fibre and then get constipated it's because we've developed a fibre-dependency. What's a person to do?

Well, it's my bedtime, but if I get a chance I'll try to read more around the subject.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby havefaith » 09 Jan 2014, 23:38

he apparently outlines a way so that one may wean themselves off of fiber. its just taking that chance which scares me.
havefaith
Salt Bather