QUESTION: TO CREME OR NOT TO CREME POST SURGERY?

Should I put creme on my incision site post surgery?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

QUESTION: TO CREME OR NOT TO CREME POST SURGERY?

Postby Hatetopoop » 15 Jan 2014, 12:26

HI,
I am Day 5 post LIS, skin tag removal, and fissurectomy surgery. I am healing well though I am still bleeding a bit from the skin tags. I have a ladies incontinent underwear on because it absorbs the blood nicely and I feel safe and dry with it on. I am not incontinent! Anyhow, at this point my incision bothers me a bit, stings and sore a bit. I looked in the mirror and I see the perianal area is very sore and there is a ridge like skin, resembling a skin tag but not a skin tag. Or maybe it is?

Anyhow, I have read people putting coconut oil, vaseline, hydrocortisone cream, even diaper rash ointment on their bum. Is this ok to do or would it delay healing? I just feel like my perianal area is very tight and pulling like it may tear like a pressure but not so intense.

I see the DR this coming Monday but if you have any advice before then, would be greatly appreciated. I think I remembering him saying post surgery putting creams may delay recovery.

Please advise...thanks!
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Re: QUESTION: TO CREME OR NOT TO CREME POST SURGERY?

Postby Savaici » 15 Jan 2014, 12:53

I have not had this surgery, but personally I would not put anything that my doctor has not prescribed anywhere near the surgery site. There are a few suggestions that I found when googling "post surgery LIS", and this was one link:

http://www.umassmemorial.org/File%20Lib ... issure.pdf

Best of luck with your healing! :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Savaici » 15 Jan 2014, 13:04

Another excellent link to Davo's healing. He is one of our moderators:

my-lis-diary-march-2012-fully-healed-in-4-weeks-t4589.html
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Bettyblue » 15 Jan 2014, 13:10

Hi hatetopoop. I just have my LIS today. I asked my doctor the same question. I did it because I was very irritated before my LIS and I was using some Vaseline and a dermatologic French cream. He told me not to do it at least for the first three days. After that it will be ok if I really need it. He thought best think will be not use any thing, but if the irritation is really bothering me that will be fine. By the way I am feeling great. You were right it have been a pice of cake. Well at least for today.
Bettyblue
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby suzyljank » 15 Jan 2014, 13:19

Hi, after my surgery I was told not to put anything on the open wounds especially not petroleum jelly. My doctor prescribed a water based salve with lidocaine. It smelled like mint and worked really well but I didn't use it much. I couldn't use toilet paper either. I rinsed the area and used a hairdryer on low to dry. It's almost 9 months since surgery and I've discovered that I'm allergic to most toilet tissue. Who knew. The only one I can use is White Cloud. I think it's because it doesn't leave any residue behind. It took me 2 months to figure out that toilet tissue was part of what was irritating me. It's very important for your recovery to keep the area clean and able to breathe. Covering with the wrong ointments can actually hinder healing. Take care. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Hatetopoop » 15 Jan 2014, 13:23

Thanks Salvaci..that first link has great post operative tips. Very helpful..thanks!
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Hatetopoop » 15 Jan 2014, 13:23

Thanks Susy..I figured as much but thought I'd ask....
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Hatetopoop » 15 Jan 2014, 13:28

Hi Bettyblue, told u piece of cake! now keep in mind your bum is nice and comfy with novacaine and the anesthesia. It may wear off by tonight or tomorrow morning. Remember if you need the painkillers tomorrow when you wake up, eat a light breakfast of you can and take them. One may be enough so start with one and only if that is not enough take the 2nd one. I took two and I felt like I was floating and itchy all over. They also constipated me the next day and I was not happy! But you may feel intense pain tomorrow. After day2 the pain got less and less and now Advil is fine once per day for me.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bettyblue » 16 Jan 2014, 05:25

Hatetopoop, feeling great today still no pain at all, I have my second BM today already,was very easy and also not painful. I haven't needed any pain killers. I think it has to do with the fact that I only have one procedure, and not multiples at once. And also that I was operated with laser. For what I know laser is more gentle with tissue. Thanks again for your helpful advise.
Bettyblue
VIP

Topics: 7