Flax seed question for the day

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Flax seed question for the day

Postby Guest » 22 Jan 2008, 09:32

Hi everyone. I've been reading about some of your experiences with flax seed and I'm wondering if it could benefit me, as well. After a couple of setbacks last week, I upped my dosage of stool softener to 300 mg per day (one pill about 30 min before each meal). I also use olive oil that has omega 3 in it (at least 1 tbsp a day) and that seems to really help with the "coating" of the BM. I've been ok the last few days, but I'm considering adding the flax seed due to the volume of the fiber-enhanced BM's. lol
Anyway, is the flax a softener, also? Is this too much with the 300 mg of stool softener? If so, should I reduce the softener a bit when I start the flax seed? Would I still need the olive oi? What dosage should I start with? How long does it take to work?
Sorry about the barrage of questions, but I wanted to get as much info as possible...
Oh, I also eat all bran buds in the am, activia yogurt, and plenty of fruits, veggies, and water.

Re: Flax seed question for the day

Postby Guest » 22 Jan 2008, 11:10

I don't eat flax seed but I do take the oil. One tablespoon in the am and one in the pm really helps to coat the stool. I find it works better for me than olive oil, but everyone is different.

It is not a stool softener so I would continue those. It will only coat it so it slides out better. I don't know much about eating flaxseed but I know it needs to be ground to unlock the nutrients or it will just pass right out of you.

Postby Guest » 22 Jan 2008, 11:29

ok, so it works similar to the olive oil. that makes sense...I was actually thinking of the capsules. Is there a difference with those? thanks!

Postby Guest » 22 Jan 2008, 12:06

No, I do both actually. I don't always get a chance to take the oil straight so I take about 4 capsules instead which seems to be about the same amount.

I also take a fish oil supplement capsules to balance out the Omega fatty acids and this helps to slime things up a bit too. My favorite kind is Fisol because it breaks down in the small intestine and not the stomach so I don't get a fishy taste.