Fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Fissure

Postby Hurtswhenisit » 16 Feb 2014, 19:09

Hello my names Tony new to the site and I think I have a fissure anal most pain I think I've ever been in. I've had this for about 5 months now and I started freaking out thinking maybe I have cancer or something. Does not hurt much when I go poo but after forget about it. I can't sit down for about 4 hrs. I used the lighted mirror and opened up my cheeks and inside I could see a little I would say cut or slit does this sound like a fissure to you guys an gals.
Hurtswhenisit
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Re: Fissure

Postby Scientist2516 » 16 Feb 2014, 19:25

Hi Tony, it does sound like it is a fissure. I am sorry - I know how much it hurts. But take courage, because you have come to the right place for help, reassurance and the company of people who know your pain.

I recommend you go to a doctor if you can. The sooner you start treatment, the more likely you are to heal without surgery. Try and see a colorectal surgeon or nurse if you can. If not, try to get referred to one.

Three things to do in the mean time:
1) Drink lots of water, to soften your stools. Soft stools can still hurt, but not as much, and they will traumatize the injury less.

2) Find a diet that will help your stools be soft and small. For some people that means fibre, but don't overdo the fibre as that can make your stools bulky. A couple of foods that have worked for me are: red lentils, sweet potatoes and oatmeal. Try keeping a food diary and note the consistency of your stools, and pain so you can see what works for you.

3) Try heat on the anus. Some people like warm baths, some like a sitz bath, some use a hot water bottle (not too hot). The heat increases blood flow to the anal sphincter and relaxes it. The blood flow and relaxation are both good for healing.

The doctor may prescribe a cream that also relaxes the anus and increases blood supply.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Savaici » 16 Feb 2014, 19:32

Yes, Tony, sounds like the dreaded anal fissure, and what you are experiencing are spasms from the internal anal sphincter, which are involuntary. These can be extremely painful, somewhat similar to the pain of giving birth, in my opinion!

As you have had this for a relatively short period of time, if you can get in to see a doctor (or, preferably, a Colon and Rectal surgeon or CRS), you might be able to cure it with cream or ointment.

There is quite a lot to read on here about anal fissures, so have a read of what's here, especially under the General Anal Fissure Discussion sub forum.

Believe me, 99.9% of us on here have been where you are, so we can share the pain you are going through.

Keep in touch. And :wel:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Hurtswhenisit » 16 Feb 2014, 20:36

I'm sorry too say this but at least I'm not alone. Thank you for the kind welcome I will keep you all informed and try to keep my sanity
Hurtswhenisit
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9