Soft BMs on FODMAP/glutenfree

Do you suffer from Crohn's/Colitis or IBS. If you are looking for info on how to deal with an anal fissure with these ailments, or just wanting to share your experiences, then this is the place.

Return to Crohn's/Colitis & IBS

Re: Soft BMs on FODMAP/glutenfree

Postby Poo-ologist » 26 Jan 2014, 14:00

Hi there JHH,

I've just read your post & hope that your pains have settled! As a long time IBS sufferer I've tried a few different things to help me find some relief. I've just recently come across a new product called 'Iberogast'. It was recommended to me by my phamacist who is very aware of my long time history. I will talk to both my GP & Gastroenterologist about it & get their take & possibly give it a go myself. Just thought it may be worth the mention. It is a herbal mixture containing many soothing properties that I've had great success with in the past all rolled into one. Can only give it a go, I suppose. By the way... do you drink camomile tea? I find this also very soothing.

All the best & I hope you get some answers soon!

Poo-ologist X
Poo-ologist
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby JHH » 08 Feb 2014, 12:03

Hello again my friends.

Sorry I was gone so long, but work and life in general was keeping me busy.

Im still suffering from daily stomach pain, and lots of gas and noices. I been following the fodmap diet for quite some time now, but it doesnt seem to work. I also cut out potatoes from the start, so thats not the reason.

My doctor thinks its IBS, but has offered me a colonoscopy to rule out cancer, but after reading about the procedure, I have chosen to say no thanks to it.

I will look into iberogast, but Im unsure of adding more supplements ar a good idea.

Fissure wise Im doing OK. Some irritation from time to time, and soreness for half an hour every time I go for a jog. Not something I cant live with, but still a bit annoying. Its now more than a year ago I got my fissure, so its a very serious illness to get!

I managed to dump both psylium husk and lactulose. As of a few weeks ago, Im now only using magnesium as a stool softner, and it seems I can control it fairly well. Yes, it does get a bit plugish from time to time, but its no problem for my healed fissure anymore.

I hope all my friends in here are doing good, and I will now go read the latest posts to catch up with you all :-)
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Rachael 1984 » 09 Feb 2014, 17:22

Hi J,
I think you have IBS tendencies... Don't think you've given the FODMAP enough time yet..... Just a thought as it took me a good six months to eliminate, re-introduce and realise my triggers. It needs to be done in that manner otherwise you won't pin down the culprits. It is successful in 75% of IBS suffers, so maybe just give it more time? Do you still have dairy? Lactose is an issue for me and so is wheat to name a few. I also cook totally from scratch and my symptoms are much improved. I hardly ever trigger now, and if I so it's mainly stress related. Glad to hear you have no Fissure issues anymore. Xxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby JHH » 19 Feb 2014, 13:10

Hi R,

I will keep on the fodmap diet for now, I guess it doesnt hurt, and I actually managed to control the softness of my BMs pretty well with magnesium alone. Stress could be factor, since I suffer worse on busy days, and when I dont sleep enough.

Btw. Congrats on the VIP status. You deserve it :-)
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby vdb324 » 19 Feb 2014, 17:46

I am very interested in hearing about this more, too. The GI doctor seems to think my problem is IBS. So far, I know raw veggies seem to bother me. However, foods that I think bother me are on both sides of the FODMAP. For example, it says spinach and zuchinni are okay, but these cause problems for me. Is that common?
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby Rachael 1984 » 22 Feb 2014, 12:00

Hi J,
Glad the magnesium is helping you. Yes stick to it maty. I know VIP, wish I could be a fissure free VIP.
Hi VDB, I think everyone is slightly different, I don't trigger from courgette or spinach... You need to eliminate each food group in order and re-introduce to recognise the culprits. This can be difficult when suffering from fissures, but I have done it. Now my symptoms are much improved and I have the best bowel habits in 12 yrs of suffering. Unfortunately I still can't fully heal, but I would be much worse if I was still eating all of the wrong foods. Going wheat free has been a major factor and cutting all processed foods too. I just wish I hadn't strained in the first place. Ugh
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby vdb324 » 23 Feb 2014, 22:25

I did a blood test and endoscopy to check for Celiac Disease, but it came back okay. Does that mean wheat is okay, or should I still be hesitant about it?
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby Rachael 1984 » 02 Mar 2014, 07:00

Hi V,
I find not eating wheat is best for me. That's what was clogging me up, causing the constipation, you could eliminate it to see if you have any improvement..... X
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984