Scared of having surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Scared of having surgery

Postby Savaici » 03 Mar 2014, 12:24

Hope that is of help to reassure you. If I was having LIS, I would prefer this!
:smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Heidi » 03 Mar 2014, 14:54

Thank you for the information Savaiici!
Heidi
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Heidi » 03 Mar 2014, 14:57

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between nifidepine and nitroglycerin , which one is better and your experience with either one. I think I'm allergic to nifidepine, would like to ask for nitro instead ...... Advice please. Cream stings and burns for about half an hour after application.... :(
Heidi
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 03 Mar 2014, 17:28

Hi Heidi,
The two drugs have similar effects -they are both supposed to relax your anal sphincter and the blood vessels. Relaxing these muscles will increase blood supply to the anus to promote healing, and relaxing the sphincter will help prevent the painful spasms.

Nifedipine is a calcium channel blocker. Diltiazem is a sort of cousin of nifedipine - it is also a calcium channel blocker. When calcium can't enter the muscle, the muscle cannot contract.

Nitroglycerine also relaxes muscle, but does so by blocking a different pathway. It is far better absorbed than the calcium-channel blockers. Hence, it enters the bloodstream and can even relax blood vessels in the brain, causing headaches in some people.

My own experience was that nifidipine did nothing for me, diltiazem did help the spasms but I was allergic to it. Nitroglycerine was both helpful and non-allergenic for me. I luckily did not get headaches from it.

If the nifedipine stinging and burning gets worse, or if you get a rash, stop using it immediately and request one of the other drugs. Also, if you think it's ineffective, ask for a different drug.
It's possible you are allergic to the carrier cream, rather than the nifedipine, so if you think the nif. is doing you good you could ask for a different formulation. Mine was in a vaseline-like carrier. Is your nif. in a nifedipine/lidocaine combination? Because I found that lidocaine was burning, so I stopped using it.

Those are just some ideas that I hope will help.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Heidi » 21 Mar 2014, 13:27

UpdAte: went back to the doctors for recheck of fissure... He said fissure had healed but now I had a fistula. Scheduled surgery to repair fistula. Had the surgery and crs told me surgery of the fistula went well but that I had another fissure.... That he felt would heal with cream or perhaps Botox . Has this happened to anyone else I just don't know why he wouldn't perform lis to take care of fissure since I was in surgery anyways. :( :( Feeling disappointed
Heidi
Fibre Addict