Hydrocortisone/steroid Overuse - Seeking Solutions

Seeking solutions for skin atrophy

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Hydrocortisone/steroid Overuse - Seeking Solutions

Postby ut_outdoorsman » 25 Mar 2014, 16:57

Hello all,

I went to see a doctor about chronic anal fissures and he prescribed me hydrocortisone suppositories with unlimited refills. I used them 2 times daily for several months, only discovering later that they can atrophy the skin (and are therefore limited to two weeks).

I haven't had any truly 'bad' fissures in a long time...but it seems like I can never heal 100%. I fear this might because the skin is thin and now just prone to reinjury.

Does anyone know of a way to recover from steroid/hydrocortison overuse?

It is so important to me to recover...I just can't think straight anymore. Too anxious and worried.

Thank you all for your help.
ut_outdoorsman
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Hydrocortisone/steroid Overuse - Seeking Solutions

Postby Savaici » 26 Mar 2014, 13:20

Hi there,

Using cortisone - as it says on the information - is usually only for two weeks. However, you are not the first person to have used it for longer. As you can possibly imagine, once skin is thinned, you cannot do much to "unthin" it, but I would not spend time worrying about it but rather concentrate on the positive that you have mentioned: not having any truly bad fissures for a long time.

Most of us who are still on here have pain of one sort or another, and worrying does not help. We all want to be 100% again, but sometimes it's not possible. I used cortisone for a long time; I have to live with it. I also worry, but it does not help so I tell myself how much worse things could be and try to live that.

Eat well, make sure you get enough fibre and drink enough water. Use Miralax or Milk of Magnesia as I do. Stop worrying :smilyhug: Join in one if our Quizzes and Games on that part of the Forum!!

P.S. Best to stick to one post on the subject as you will get more help that way.

All the best.

Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby ut_outdoorsman » 26 Mar 2014, 14:06

Thank you Sav.

I assumed multiple posts would reach more people and get more responses. Is that not the case?

I should definitely count my blessings, I know. Compared to the difficulties faced by the majority of those on this forum, I know mine are mild. I suppose I am still in the grieving stage of all this.

Did you ever have a 'test' or something performed to measure the fragility of the skin? I have a hard time telling how psychosomatic it is.

Thanks!

PS, I wrote a more negative post a short while ago and re-edited it to this one. My apologies if you read it. Like I said, I am still in grieving, I suppose.
ut_outdoorsman
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Savaici » 26 Mar 2014, 17:38

Didn't see a negative post, so don't worry about that.

It is better not to attach the same post to other people's posts as many of them have left after healing and won't see them. So making your own post is very much the best.

I can understand just what you mean about the grieving as I too think I have got "this" as a forever thing.

Truly though, try not to worry. I have used cortisone on the skin of my face (I know that's not the bum, but it's pretty fragile) for years off and on, sometimes prescription strength and some time from the pharmacy. I also have other problems that require all types of nasty medication! I have never had a test to measure the skin, but I have never really worried too much about that either, and if you feel you really want to know, I would see a dermatologist for this. if your skin had been very damaged it would show the damage, I would think. But, if it would reassure you though, I would see a dermatologist.

We are here for you, so feel free to vent about it as much as you like.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222