stress and anal fissures

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

stress and anal fissures

Postby Scientist2516 » 02 Apr 2014, 21:32

I've noticed that a lot of the people who introduce themselves here and describe how they got their fissure, say that they were under a lot of stress at the time. And I always wondered if stress itself is a contributing factor, or is it that people who are stressed out tend not to look after themselves. If you are under stress, you might eat junk food (comfort food), and drink coffee and alcohol, thus getting dehydrated. You might be so busy that you put off doing your BM, the moment passes, and next time you feel the urge the stool is old and dry. And so on.

Lately I've had some stress in my life. It's pretty minor really - a kitchen renovation which is dragging on longer than it should and costing way more than it should. After dealing with the workmen, I've found my bottom stinging a bit, and feeling quite sore. Once I notice the sting, I also notice that I'm clenching my bottom. I have to force myself to relax.

In fact, almost every day, I have to consciously relax my bottom. I think it's a bit clenched literally ALL THE TIME. And when I'm anxious or stressed, I clench it more!

Could this is a contributing factor to anal fissures?

What do you all think?
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: stress and anal fissures

Postby Phil McCrackin » 03 Apr 2014, 11:38

Hi Scientist,
My fissure definitely came about through stress and drinking too much alcohol. I don't drink at all anymore apart from a lot of water. But my bottom is also clenched 24/7 !! I have to consciously relax the muscle down there and if I don't it's always tense. I can be aware of it being clenched several times just when making breakfast, so I guess it's like this all day. It seems to have become its natural state now unfortunately. When I let that tension go it's a huge relief but it's a lot of effort to remember to it do all the time.
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: stress and anal fissures

Postby guest1 » 06 Apr 2014, 17:07

I agree that there is a connection between stress and muscle tension (I think in all body). I guess it is important to address overall issue of stress and not only relaxing muscle in a bottom. Like meditating on regular basis, and practicing deep breathing, positive self talk . I noticed when I talk to angry client at work , My body, including bottom is tensed and even sometimes painful and I feel that I need immediately leave the situation. and it is very difficult. I find when I am tensed and need to relax the muscle there, walking or hip shaking movement helps to get immediate result. Take it easy and take care, Scientist!
guest1
Salt Bather

Topics: 8