Hello and .. Oh my god, Rectogesic headaches..

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello and .. Oh my god, Rectogesic headaches..

Postby badpatient » 14 Apr 2014, 22:56

Thought I'd introduce myself after reading some older posts that related to what I'm feeling right now.

Anyway I've been suffering on and off for a year or so with what had been diagnosed as piles by not one but two GPs, the second of which even gave me the most uncomfortable rectal exam - I'm sure it was just a finger (and I'm not even 40, darnit, thought I had years until the prostate exam!) but it felt like a whole fist..

About a month ago I had a slightly-too-firm movement however, and since then every bowel movement has felt like passing razor blades and has been followed by several hours of continued pain, the inability to sit, stand, walk.. You know the drill.

Last night I finally went back to the GP again (or my other half was going to run out of patience with me!) and saw a different doc who, after a brief exam (no pain this time, she was a pro with that finger!) and my saying "it feels like passing razor blades", immediately diagnosed fissures and prescribed Rectogesic 4mg/g. I got the Rx filled and applied the first inch long bead tonight and almost immediately afterward gained a headache. No problem, I thought, I'll sleep and be fine, so I dropped off to sleep.. Until about 2am when I woke up with the most excruciating headache I've ever felt - like someone had my head in a vice!

Now it's 5am and after 1000mg paracetamol (acetaminophen for those the other side of the pond) and 400mg ibuprofen the headache is mostly gone and I'm just left with the nausea and what feels like a muscle strain in my left shoulder and neck that I can't seem to stretch out.

I couldn't tolerate the fissure symptoms but I think the cure might be worse than the ailment! I'm extremely nervous about applying the cream again in the morning.. :-/

Anyway, enough rambling from me, perhaps I can grab an hours sleep before the alarm goes off..
badpatient

Topics: 1

Re: Hello and .. Oh my god, Rectogesic headaches..

Postby Jbl22424 » 14 Apr 2014, 23:00

Start by using less and then over a few weeks time up the dosage. I think that will help. I use Nitro .2% which I believe is the same thing but it may be less concentrated. The headaches weren't too bad and went away after a couple of weeks but I worked up to a larger dose.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby JHH » 15 Apr 2014, 02:09

Yes, like jbl writes, use less. Start with half the recomended dose and work your way up.
For most people the headaches are temporary, and goes away in two weeks.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Scientist2516 » 15 Apr 2014, 07:08

Hi Badpatient,
To put it in perspective, your Rectogesic is twice as concentrated as the nitro I used. You started with an inch-long bead, and I started out with a dab about the size of a small lentil. I got a few throbs in the head, and slight dizziness for a few minutes, and then was OK. Over the next few days, I worked my way up to a dab the size of a pea. Eventually I was using a two-pea sized dab.

The only time I had worse throbs and a bit of a headache was when I didn't take the nitro for several weeks, and then had a set-back. I used a pea-sized dab, and had quite a headache. Had to back down again, and work my way up again.

As jbl and JHH have both said, start with really small amounts and work your way up gradually. I think in your case, try really really small dabs, and be aware that your cream is quite concentrated.

It's worth it! Don't give up! Nitro is a very effective drug. Don't give it up unless you've given it a really good try and you still get headaches.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16