New sufferer

Anxiety help

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New sufferer

Postby Worrymaster » 26 Apr 2014, 07:35

Hi guys, I'm new on here, it's a relief to find other sufferers. I first had an AF after the birth of my first child 10 years ago, since then I've obsessed and worried about getting another, I've spent hundreds on suppositories, creams and laxatives thinking that every little pain is another AF. To my horror, 3 days ago I developed a new AF, my worst nightmare had become real. The pain during the day has been fine but I don't want to eat, I force down a few grapes here and there and managed a meal yesterday, all fibrous but my poo is still hard and gets stuck halfway out. I'm taking laxatives prescribed by my gp and using Proctosedyl. Today my AF is stinging, bad! I've started today back on the GNT, is that the cause of the stinging or have I made my AF worse by the hard poos? Any advice is great I feel desperate and very low.
Worrymaster
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: New sufferer

Postby Now66 » 26 Apr 2014, 14:30

Speaking only for myself, hard poo is a disaster! I want BM's the consistency of toothpaste.

I stay away from laxatives but daily use Miralax (stool softener), Metamucil (may not help everyone), ground flax seed (tablespoon each morning), and lots of water (8 full cups per day). This works great for me.

Miralax is not absorbed by the body, is non-addictive, and apparently there are no long term effects. I've used it daily now for nearly 2 years and don't plan to ever stop.

The ground flax seed helps a great deal in that it seems to coat the poo and make them slick for easy passing. I tried going without this and much regretted the experiment.

The water helps with the poo consistency.

Look around this website and you will find many who work a similar diet.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby Scientist2516 » 26 Apr 2014, 16:32

Definitely drink a lot of water, and honestly it's better to poo every day (because old stool is dry and hard), so you do need to eat and keep things moving. Don't eat too much fiber, or your stools will be bulky. Oatmeal, red lentils, sweet potatoes these are all great fissure foods, that help keep your stools soft. Though different foods work for different people, so try small amounts while you are figuring things out.

Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby sugarspice » 27 Apr 2014, 04:53

You poor thing!

Def start taking laxido/movicol, get your GP to prescibe it asap, it will make your poo's as smooth as silk and that's what you need. It is a powder that you mix in to cold water, very straightforward.

DON'T use suppositries, that is what made my anal fissure about a million times worse, def don't put anything up your bum!

Start eating a soluble fibre diet and (as the others have said) drink lots of water. Don't not eat as this will make your consitpation worse. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables (except potato) and non processed meat and fish.

The above 3 things will help immensley. The key is to not make the fissure any worse and by keeping your poo's as soft as possible will help that nasty fissure to heal on it's own...all being well :-)

SS
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Worrymaster » 27 Apr 2014, 05:13

Thanks all, thanks for the advice, I've been taking Laxido for 2 days but it's not working, I'm eating loads of fruit and salad veg, only a small amount of potato, 1 glass of prune juice a day but still no luck. I think I'm worrying so much about going to the loo that I misread the signs and maybe go too early. I have never had so much mental turmoil, what can I eat? What don't I eat? What's soluble, what's insoluble fibre? Aaaaggghh!! I'm finding it impossible to think about anything else and am convinced that I've given myself another AF by straining too much. Does anyone else get this anxious?
Worrymaster
Fibre Addict

Postby sugarspice » 27 Apr 2014, 10:19

How much laxido are you taking fellow sufferer? I take one sachet in the morning and two at night. If I have a day where I don't go I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night.

Soluble fibre food ideas.

Rye bread - avoid white or brown
Fruit (especially pears...don't eat banana)
Veggies - especially sprouts and root veg (not too much sweet potato, but def better than standard potato)
Spelt pasta (available on Amazon)
No rice, not brown or white.
Ryvitas
Mixed baked beans - Heinz do one, it's in a black tin and has red kidney beans etc in it too.
Beans in general are all good.

I was SO confused when I first started out, but now my diet is pretty much the above AND my laxido dose is high enough and I am fine, I never have a hard poo.

Anxiety is totally normal, but you will get used to your new lifestyle I promise. It's second nature to me now

SS
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sugarspice » 27 Apr 2014, 10:20

PS - Just noticed you are eating salad, any raw vegetables are a no-no. Cooked pepper is great, but not raw foods.
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sugarspice » 27 Apr 2014, 10:23

PPS - Never strain :-)
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Worrymaster » 28 Apr 2014, 03:13

Thanks for that, you've been a great help. I take one laxido in the morning and one at night, that's the dose the dr gave me but I may up it now I know that's ok. I think I'm still in the early stages where I can't see it ever getting better :-(
Worrymaster
Fibre Addict

Postby sugarspice » 28 Apr 2014, 06:02

It's totally normal to feel like that. I have a friend on here who reassures me all the time! And that's because they DEF can heal. Whether it be naturally, through botox injections or by having LIS surgery, they def do go! Helping yourself with diet and medication is also helping hugely too :-)

I have had mine 9 months, it's a chronic anal fissure that's very long, deep and it's up to the dentate line (very high up) and goes right to the bottom of my bum. I think it was small initially, but because I thought it was piles I was using bullet-hard suppositries and tearing it even more :-( Mine happened after pregnancy also.

Feel free to look at my botox diary which is also on this 'New to the forum' page. I have now had two lots of botox. The first lot didn't work (it has a very high success rate, but mine was pretty bad and I was eating all the wrong foods and not taking enough laxido!) and now I have just had another lot. It's better this time round, so I'm hoping it will heal without needing surgery :-)

SS
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist