Study finds fiber more likely to cause constipation thanHelp

Not sure if this has been posted before.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Study finds fiber more likely to cause constipation thanHelp

Postby Loomis » 25 Apr 2014, 18:18

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/03/05/stud ... -symptoms/

Hey guys, I don't know if this article has been posted on here before, but it's from March of 2013. I found this article because I was trying to see if too much fiber could be causing my constipation and large stools. When I saw my GI for me fissure and he prescribed NTG, he also told me to start taking a fiber supplement. I was an idiot and listened to him, despite the fact that I already eat a lot of vegetables and have very bulky stools. Basically, the past week my fissure has had zero chance of healing, even while using the medication, because when I started taking the fiber supplement, I'd have a BM every two days, and seriously the stool was no human sized. It was some giraffe sized shits.

So, after doing some reading on the internet I stumbled on this article. I am now going to try a low fiber diet for a few weeks to hopefully decrease the bulk of my stools. I thought maybe this article could help other people who have fissures caused by constipation and bulky stools who still get the old advice from their doctor to "increase fiber" despite there being new evidence that this is not necessarily the right thing for a lot of people. Honestly, the only people I think should be told to take bulking fiber supplements would be people have IBS-D.
Loomis
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: Study finds fiber more likely to cause constipation than

Postby asdf123456 » 27 Apr 2014, 10:51

Hi Loomis,

My personal experience suggests this as well. Too much fiber doesn't necessarily constipate me to the point where I can't get it to come out at all, but it does make a more massive, thicker log that requires pushing, i.e. the valsalva maneuver to force out. I actually poop much easier when eating high fat, relatively normal/low fiber diets. My ideal poops are when I sit down and breathe in and out for a second or two and find the poop has just naturually slid out without any effort on my part at all. That seems to occur for me more frequently with a high fat, lower fiber diet. I don't avoid fiber deliberately, I just eat normally and find that my BMs are much more frequently smoother and easy than when I am in *FiberMode* where I deliberately try to find a source of fiber with every meal. Also, I eat significantly less than I would pre-fissure, i.e. 1-2 meals a day, tops. And tons of water. This helps keep my motions to a single, relatively small one a day. Anyway, I would give it a shot and listen to your poop over your doctor. Good luck.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Re: Study finds fiber more likely to cause constipation than

Postby Jbl22424 » 27 Apr 2014, 14:42

Too much fiber can constipate me, especially if not paired with good water absorption. Metamucil pills are the worst but Benefiber dissolved in a glass of liquid works well for me. Low or no fiber constipates me, though. IE: Atkins and paleo diets. No bueno on my system. A moderate amount of fiber seems to be the best in my experience.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9