How long can you stay on the creams (Diltiazem)?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: How long can you stay on the creams (Diltiazem)?

Postby Alyssa » 11 May 2014, 18:43

May I ask who is your doctor?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Luka » 12 May 2014, 12:06

Alyssa - No, my CRS could not see my fissure as I am too tight for him to do an internal examination with an anoscope (my fissure is internal). He diagnosed me based on my symptoms and did do an external examination. As for my next step, I don't know. I am taking it one day at a time. My symptoms are completely manageable right now on the Diltiazem, so I'm sticking to it. I am located in the San Francisco bay area (Vallejo area).

Apes - I understand that Botox can help some people, but from what I've read, it really doesn't appear to be more effective than the creams in most cases. For myself, I would want something permanent because I have a really tight sphincter and I don't think Botox would work for me. It might work temporarily, but I've read so many stories of people who've gotten it, been better for a while, but then go right back to square one with a tear (whether diet-related or not... mine is not diet-related since I rarely get constipation and I believe it is more stress-related and because I am just too tight down there) and have to either get more Botox (which is expensive) or go straight to LIS anyway. For myself, it is not worth the expense (I do not have health insurance and the CRS said it would be VERY pricey and just not worth the time) and since you are usually put under general anesthesia for Botox anyway, I might as well get LIS. It's a personal choice.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Alyssa » 12 May 2014, 12:25

I'm in San Jose, CA... So we are really close. I hope that whatever you decide to do it turns out well for you. I've been having pain (no spasms) during bowel movements even though my fissure has healed so I am totally confused by that.
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Apes » 12 May 2014, 12:49

Luka, I think this is key.

"I have a really tight sphincter"

In your case a temporary fix (Botox) will probably not work in the long term. For me I couldn't bear a surgery right now. I have health insurance. If the Botox doesn't work I guess it will be my next move. I wish you the best of luck.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Luka » 12 May 2014, 13:04

Alyssa - I wish you well. My CRS is located in Walnut Creek (at the Bay Area Colon and Rectal Surgeons Clinic). They have three CRS's there with many, many years of experience. Mine has been very accommodating and gentle. I highly recommend them if you need to see someone else. There is also Dr. Million (I believe) in San Francisco, who I hear great things about, although I've never been to see her.

Apes - Yes, that is what my CRS said. He has not seen good results in his patients with Botox, unfortunately, especially if they are very tight. I wish you well and hope you find a permanent fix to your issue.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Apes » 12 May 2014, 13:30

Please keeps us informed to whatever you decide and how it goes. The more information WE people have the better.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Alyssa » 12 May 2014, 13:55

Luka wrote:Alyssa - I wish you well. My CRS is located in Walnut Creek (at the Bay Area Colon and Rectal Surgeons Clinic). They have three CRS's there with many, many years of experience. Mine has been very accommodating and gentle. I highly recommend them if you need to see someone else. There is also Dr. Million (I believe) in San Francisco, who I hear great things about, although I've never been to see her.

Apes - Yes, that is what my CRS said. He has not seen good results in his patients with Botox, unfortunately, especially if they are very tight. I wish you well and hope you find a permanent fix to your issue.

I belong to kaiser insurance so I don't think they will cover dr. Million which I read had great reviews but she also has payments plans for people that don't have insurance. But kaiser has a total of 12 crs in the Bay Area so if I have to drive to different areas, I will. Anyone had a good experience with any kaiser (Bay Area) crs?
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP