Finally booked!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Finally booked!

Postby Mommaof1 » 06 May 2014, 07:52

So after 18 months of dealing with my fissure I have surgery booked for June 11. I'm excited! It was originally booked in Oct but I cancelled it because things were improving and now i'm kicking myself. Im a tad nervous for the recovery because I was only able to get 2 days off of work :( I work at the hospital too...so im a little worried about confidentiality issues too. Here to hoping im back on my feet 2 days later. lol :\
Mommaof1
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Finally booked!

Postby sotiredofthis » 06 May 2014, 13:26

Good luck with your surgery! I'm 8 days post surgery and I have to honesty say there is no way I could have gone back to work even today. I still can't sit down for more than a few minutes and haven't even left my house since the day of surgery yet. In my humble opinion 2 days won't be enough. Even my doctor said at least a week to 10 days. Not trying to scare you at all just my experience. It is different for everyone though.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby Roidsfizzman » 06 May 2014, 18:14

I am also 8 days post LIS surgery and I would not consider going back to work until after a week. You really need to give yourself the proper time to heal as you do not want to be doing another surgery or suffer from the fissure because you pushed your recovery. Talk to your doctor as I am sure that your doctor does not want you working 3 days post surgery.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby agnibeat » 11 May 2014, 15:22

Mommaof1 wrote:So after 18 months of dealing with my fissure I have surgery booked for June 11. I'm excited! It was originally booked in Oct but I cancelled it because things were improving and now i'm kicking myself. Im a tad nervous for the recovery because I was only able to get 2 days off of work :( I work at the hospital too...so im a little worried about confidentiality issues too. Here to hoping im back on my feet 2 days later. lol :\

Plan to work from home for 4 weeks post surgery. You are going to have surgery.. Recovery is very smooth if you take precautions and life is good... However 2 days - that is IMPOSSIBLE...
agnibeat
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Mommaof1 » 17 May 2014, 07:15

I have been able to get 4 days off now. I work as a nurse, I cant work from home. And taking vacation is impossible at this time. Im going to have to grin and bear it :\ I don't have any other choice and I can't put this off any longer :(
Mommaof1
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Apes » 17 May 2014, 07:30

A hospital not sympathetic to the amount of time a patient may need to properly heal, unbelievable. WhT country are you from? Best if luck
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby agnibeat » 17 May 2014, 08:08

Mommaof1 wrote:I have been able to get 4 days off now. I work as a nurse, I cant work from home. And taking vacation is impossible at this time. Im going to have to grin and bear it :\ I don't have any other choice and I can't put this off any longer :(

Some tips to help in your situation
- Do not drive to work. Have someone from work or family give you a ride to and back from work. If not take a taxi for at least 10 business days.
- When you do start driving drive only moderately and DO NOT sit in traffic.
- Keep a SURGICAL PAD as a cushion all the time.
- DO not sit normally.... Always sit with weight on the left side or right side (hip tilted to the side). During sleeping do the same either sleep on sides or on your tummy. Do NOT sleep straight.
- Take sits bath after every BM for at least 20 minutes. Purchase non-scented soft baby wipes and always carry a pack wherever you go - even at work.
- Do not eat cheese, meat, sharp stuff... Give up on coffee, alcohol for few months if not forever. Stick to a fruits diet.

I wish you good luck and hope you will be good very soon..The sitting and sleeping on the side worked wonders for me.
agnibeat
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Roidsfizzman » 17 May 2014, 08:11

Hi Mommaof1
The restriction that I did have from my doctor post LIS surgery was that I could not lift anything over 15lbs for two weeks. I wish you the best and a fast recovery.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4