Nerve pain after LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Nerve pain after LIS?

Postby nesied » 18 May 2014, 13:40

I had LIS surgery a year ago. The fissure pain itself is gone, but every time I have a BM I have an aching pain in my rectum and a burning pain in the toes on my left foot! I know this sounds crazy, but the pain is very real. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this, or has ever heard of it?
nesied

Topics: 1

Re: Nerve pain after LIS?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 18 May 2014, 15:02

Hi Nesied,
I'd always say go back and see your CRS if you have any worries, just to put your mind at rest and stop you from any additional stress you might have - they should be able to provide you with the reassurement you need.
It appears to be quite common for some people to continue to experience some mild strange sensations in the anal area after any form of anal surgery, some years on - whether aching or rectal pressure or tightness but nothing that causes too much distress. Over 2 years on for me (although I didn't get LIS) and I still don't have what I remember as a completely normal bottom! I did inherit a couple of internal piles after all my bum surgery and they can be bothersome now & again (although largely manageable)......I have read posts here where people have suspected some form of nerve pain/ damage though - although have no idea whether this relates to your burning in your toes. I haven't come across that before I must admit but maybe someone will come along who has.....
If it bothers you, I really would make a call to your CRS just to discuss it. I hope you get some answers soon :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Jsingh » 24 May 2014, 13:19

I am in a similar situation...post 2 lis surgeries last year along with a fissurectomy...last surgery was in September 2013.. Fissure has healed and no issues there...however have been left with persistent low level burning as well as inability to sit comfortably..this does not seem to go away...I also get a stinging sensation that I feel in the sole of my foot..they say that it could be an entrapped nerve but I don't think anybody really knows...waiting patiently for things to get better...I also get spasms that have been diagnosed as levator ani syndrome which is an altogether separate issue...
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Alyssa » 29 May 2014, 20:25

I healed my anal fissure without surgery (nifedipine) and continue to have pain with and after bowel movements and having the same burning, irritation, rectum not stretchy sensations that you are experiencing. I've been to 5 doctors so fissures are not the problem or a tight spincher; they all have referred me to a pelvic floor therapist which I've seen twice. I just don't understand how my fissure has led to pelvic floor problems. I have good days and bad days (less pain/ more intense pain) and I just want to wake up and have normal sensations down there!
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby leemike » 21 Sep 2015, 15:15

Jsingh wrote:I am in a similar situation...post 2 lis surgeries last year along with a fissurectomy...last surgery was in September 2013.. Fissure has healed and no issues there...however have been left with persistent low level burning as well as inability to sit comfortably..this does not seem to go away...I also get a stinging sensation that I feel in the sole of my foot..they say that it could be an entrapped nerve but I don't think anybody really knows...waiting patiently for things to get better...I also get spasms that have been diagnosed as levator ani syndrome which is an altogether separate issue...

You really should read my Post, i think we have the same thing

the-biggest-mistake-of-my-life-t9962.html
leemike
Fibre Addict

Postby leemike » 21 Sep 2015, 15:16

Alyssa wrote:I healed my anal fissure without surgery (nifedipine) and continue to have pain with and after bowel movements and having the same burning, irritation, rectum not stretchy sensations that you are experiencing. I've been to 5 doctors so fissures are not the problem or a tight spincher; they all have referred me to a pelvic floor therapist which I've seen twice. I just don't understand how my fissure has led to pelvic floor problems. I have good days and bad days (less pain/ more intense pain) and I just want to wake up and have normal sensations down there!

I hear you. Same issue here,
Last night i actually wrote a long post about my 3.5 years situation after my surgery.
leemike
Fibre Addict