Advice from the Ladies, Please

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Advice from the Ladies, Please

Postby Guest » 28 Jan 2008, 11:18

I've read a couple of posts concerning dealing with the AF during the monthly cycle, but I still have some concerns. I'm a relative newbie to this and am still trying to figure out what works best for me. This will be my second period since all of this began and I really want to be better prepared this time. As I stated before, I think, compared to many of you, I must have a pretty mild fissure. (Thank God.) Regardless, I know how all-encompassing this has been for me, so I really feel for everyone on the board. Anyway, are there any extra precautions that I should take while my period is on? I take stool softeners 3x a day and have 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil for "smooth passage." I was really irritated by the kotex last month bc, excuse the graphic description, it kept feeling like there was leakage back towards that area. I'm due in the next few days and I dread having a rough time that sets me back any further. Thanks for listening!

Re: Advice from the Ladies, Please

Postby val » 28 Jan 2008, 11:25

I think it depends on what effect your period has on you. If it makes you constipated, then maybe up the stool softeners. Have you tried flaxoil or fish oils?
If you get looser BMs during it then maybe take a little less.
Before my LIS I had really bad spasms and it was those that caused the problem each month. Ibruprofen helped a little, valium was very good and lots of hot baths. I always had a hot water bottle glued to my butt for 8 months too, and one on my tummy as well when I had my period! Hope that helps!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 28 Jan 2008, 12:52

I know what you mean about the Kotex. I feel like I am always going to leak because I can't wear the pad as close to my body as I need to because if it touches my bottom at all, it hurts! Maybe you could try a tampon. Those don't work for me but it cold help.

I am with Val, I take lots of baths even during that time of the month. The water kind of helps stop the flow while I am in there. I also used extra diltiazem to keep my sphincter from going crazy.

You'll have to see which way your bms go-if things get harder or softer. I would keep doing what you are doing unless you are sure of how your body responds. I hate anticipating my period-almost as bad as having it.

Postby Fissulyna » 28 Jan 2008, 15:36

Dear J1,
I agree with girls above - it is very individual and it depends of in which way your body behaves differently during period comparing to other days in the month. I have very heavy periods and strong cramping that translated into dehydration (read harder poop) and sphincter spasming even more than usual ; (. So, I would almost heal in the 3 week period and than during period my fissure would always get reinjured again : ((( ! Nothing could stop that vicious cycle, not even Valium, Nitro +Nefidapine, extra fluids - nothing : (. But, that definitely does not mean that it will be your case too !!!! We are all different . Since your fissure is on the "mild side" I am sure that if you just continue routine that works for you on other days that you will be just fine. Try taking extra baths, maybe, and little bit extra stool softeners ( extra fluid did not work for me- it all ended up in my pee, and my body extracted needed water from the colon).
I wish you best of luck !!! I am sure you will do just fine Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby val » 28 Jan 2008, 15:43

I know this sounds kind of daft, but I always get a bit paranoid on my period, in case the blood goes into the fissure and sets up an infection. Is that possible? Or am I worrying over nothing as usual?!
Oh, and Fis, when you say about the water not ending up in the right place-could you help, please? If I drink all the water that we're supposed to, I end up peeing every 15 minutes for hours, sometimes until about 3 am! Then I wake up thirsty, which I never am if I just drink a bit of water. And also, because I take MOM last thing at night, I drink lots of water with it like it says, and thats possibly why I'm up peeing all night too! Does it have to actually be taken at the same time as fluid or does the water drunk all day count?
Thanks in advance!
val
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 28 Jan 2008, 16:33

Hi Val : ))) ! Don't worry about menstrual blood infecting your wound - your poop has much more potential to do that ; ))) and it does not - it only shows how our body has fantastic self defense mechanisms.
Since that area should be kept dry as much as possible - changing pads more often is just what is needed, or you might try tampons.
Water is absorbed throughout our digestive system and a good part is happening in our colon - like FINAL resorption and it is important
function since not only some vitamins are taken that way n our colon but because it helps our poop to get final form and consistency. We don't want it liquid ; ))), right !?! So, if we are dehydrated, our body will make sure to take every available drop
from the poop and whole story about taking extra fluids is actually
about trying not to get into "dehydrated" state and help our poop stay soft. But, theory is one ; ) and live organism is other thing.
Yes, for the most people it works that way but as we can see here on he forum, some people get constipated no matter how much water they take. The only way they can keep water in their poop is by tricking their guts alllll the way by using chemicals that make sure not all water is extracted or even making water go back from guts wall to the lumen . Why fiber helps ??? It absorbs water and "holds" onto it like a sponge and succeeds going through whole
system still holding some of it at the end part ; ) ! So - yes , if you are having A LOT of fluids, your body will take what it needs and the rest will go to kidneys - how it chooses to disperse absorption , we can not influence. BUT, by making sure we are not dehydrated we are lessening chance of our colon will absorb too much. AND, it will not absorb too little either - ha ha ha , so we do not have watery stools! That is why if you take a lot of fluids before you go to sleep you will pee all of the extra - which is good !!! MOM will draw some of the water back and make your poop softer than usual. That is why it is not "nice" to trick our guts often and for long time because they can start function differently and permanently. But, some people have to do what they have to do -
it is like with any other medication.
And yes, if it says "take with a lot of water" take it with a lot of water especially fiber - it can't work without water !!!! To the contrary - if you take powder and little watter since it has hi water affinity it will take water from guts and you will have opposite effect. For MOM, if take small dose of it, you do not need a lot of water - actually, that extra water is more to make sure you do not dehydrate because your guts will not absorb all the water they want .
I hope I helped and that I was not blabbing too much and lost the point : (((.Please feel free to ask again anything if I did not give you answer you were looking for ! Image
Last edited by Anonymous on 28 Jan 2008, 16:35, edited 2 times in total.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby buttgirl » 28 Jan 2008, 16:33

I always get better results with MOM and waer at the same time. It only needs to be 8oz though. I would also drin kgatorade during the day to help you rehydrate.
I'm not sure about he blood. never had that thought myself. Now I wonder....
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby val » 28 Jan 2008, 16:43

Thanks Fis, that was helpful.
Chris what is gatorade? We have lucozade but thats a glucose drink full of fizz and sugar, so thats probably not the same?
val
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 28 Jan 2008, 20:25

I have wicked cramps, and pre-LIS, I found that during the first two days of my cycle, I would have the spincter-spasm. I found that hot sitz baths work wonders, especially after a BM.

Postby Guest » 30 Jan 2008, 18:03

I agree stick to the baths. I also took Advil the first few days of my cycle. I also modified my diet a little bit to help my poos be a little softer.
Patty