Levator Ani syndrome

This may help

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Levator Ani syndrome

Postby Scientist2516 » 02 Jun 2014, 22:50

Levator Ani Syndrome - "Most patients complain of a dull ache high in the rectum. There may be a feeling of constant rectal pressure and occasional burning. Some patients complain of feeling like they are sitting on a "ball" or that there is a "ball" in their rectum. The pain can be made worse by a bowel movement when the stool presses against the levator ani (muscle) as it is being expelled."

http://www.healthcentral.com/encyclopedia/408/373.html

A few people here complain of continuing pain even after their fissure is healed, or if they have never had a fissure. In some cases it could be Levator Ani Syndrome. I get the feeling that the fear and trauma of a chronic fissure can cause long term tension and pain in the anal area.

I asked my doctor about this at my annual physical. I told her that even though my fissure was healed, I sometimes get pain when I am anxious or stressed about work or other things. I think I hold quite a lot of tension in my rectal area (clenched bottom), and this causes pain. Then there is a bit of a vicious cycle. Usually I can recognize what's happening, and remind myself to unclench.

She was quite interested, and did some research right there in the exam room. She suggested Ventolin Inhaler (albuterol sulphate). Apparently it has been known to help in cases of Levator Ani Syndrome.

She prescribed it for me, and I have some at hand in case I feel the need. Actually, it hasn't arisen yet, as though the knowledge I have it, has calmed the anxiety.

I've been looking for research into this, and all I can find is that albutorol or salbutamol is sometimes prescribed for proctalgia fugax ( a brief painful spasm). Still, it may be worth a try for some of you sufferers.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: Levator Ani syndrome

Postby Jbl22424 » 02 Jun 2014, 23:52

I give my son albuterol for bronchialitis. I believe it opens up his airways when congested. Interesting that it is used in this scenario, too!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Re: Levator Ani syndrome