Breastfeeding and fissure...my/our experience(s)

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Breastfeeding and fissure...my/our experience(s)

Postby Jbl22424 » 01 Apr 2014, 22:43

I am in the process of weaning, going to cut back on daytime feeds and then eventually night time. I sent you an email to the address you posted on the other thread :)

I do think the tears will seal much faster without the hormones but I suspect the hormones might take a few weeks to regulate?
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby missy moo33 » 04 Apr 2014, 15:57

Hi um i don't think i got the email il check my spam box my son has been on bottles only now for about 5 days my fissure is still there im hoping like u said the hormones will level out an the breast feeding hormones will stop i think when i start getting my periods again that will be a good sign my hormones are back on track I've just started using suppostitorys my doctor said 2 litres of water an suppostitorys is all i should need an he said don't complicate things by taking fibre an pills an cream an all the added stuff that u can't use for ever need to go regular and eat right so they r soft an using the suppostitorys will give best healing time he thinks the fissure re opening cause its not getting enough time to heal so heres hoping plus he said pain should only be 1 or 2 days not two weeks he said that way the fissure has more days of healing instead of pain which it an open wound he said the repository should achieve this fingers crossed il let u know good luck
missy moo33
Fibre Addict

Postby Jbl22424 » 28 Apr 2014, 10:41

Hi All,
I thought I would post an update about my fissure and breastfeeding. I don't want to jinx myself but I've been pain free for 11 days now since weaning my son from all but the last and first feedings of the day. It took a few weeks for my milk to regulate and then things got better and better each day. The big difference since weaning is that I no longer get that hard plug at the beginning of my BM which rips me open. I'm still taking about 3 tsp of miralax every night, which I was doing before, but now the BMs are smooth as silk like everyone says. Until I weaned, I wasn't getting that. I'm ecstatic to be pain free for the first time in 3 months. It was an incredibly difficult decision to wean because I wanted to exclusively breastfeed for six months but now I'm very happy we did it. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. I just hope it stays this way. I know 11 days in the life of a fissure is a relatively short amount of time but we'll see how things go from here. Can I just say how happy I am to be drinking Starbucks and exercising again??? :)
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby blessed » 30 Apr 2014, 13:41

Hi all, i just wanted to chime in here. I goy my first fissure when my daughter was a couple weeks old and another when she was 4 months old. I exclusivly breast fed. Its been about 1.4 years since my first one has healed and a year since my second one healed. My daughter is 17 months and I am still exclusively breast feeding her. i take about a tablespoon of mirilax each night and eat whatever i want. I make sure to keep calories up for her and i and i drink a ton of water. Someone on here advised me to put the fissure on the back burner and keep focused on keeping my baby as healthy as possible by breast feeding and thats exactly what i did. find what works for you and i hope everyone is feeling much better!!!
blessed
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby jenndablessedrn » 01 May 2014, 09:46

Hi Blessed, I am also breastfeeding exclusively my 12 weeks old baby. I had an anal fissure for 4 years. Last year, I finally decided to get the surgery done but found out I was pregnant with my 3rd baby and had to postpone it until this year. Fast forward, I had the surgery on April 3rd exactly 8 weeks after I had my baby and got medical clearance. I had the Fissurectomy and the LIS. Four weeks later, I'm still in pain after every BM for hours. I only take Tylenol but it doesn't do anything for the pain. I only take it for placebo effect!! I drink at least 8 full glasses of water not counting juices. I cut back on dairy products, don't eat meat only some fish at times. I have no social life, barely play with my kids due to pain most of the time and fear I might tear up. I can't take most meds because I'm breastfeeding. I pray to get better. Any more advice on how to cope or heal?
jenndablessedrn

Postby jenndablessedrn » 01 May 2014, 10:50

I am also breastfeeding exclusively my 12 weeks old baby. I had an anal fissure for 4 years. Last year, I finally decided to get the surgery done but found out I was pregnant with my 3rd baby and had to postpone it until this year. Fast forward, I had the surgery on April 3rd exactly 8 weeks after I had my baby and got medical clearance. I had the Fissurectomy and the LIS. Four weeks later, I'm still in pain after every BM for hours. I only take Tylenol but it doesn't do anything for the pain. I only take it for placebo effect!! I drink at least 8 full glasses of water not counting juices. I cut back on dairy products, don't eat meat only some fish at times. I have no social or "marital" life, barely play with my kids due to pain most of the time and fear I might tear up. I can't take most meds because I'm breastfeeding. I pray to get better. Any more advice on how to cope or heal? NOT breastfeeding is NOT an option!!! I rather take the most excruciating pain I've ever experience in my life (Yes worse than labor and delivery without epidural All 3 times !!!) for hours on end rather than quitting breastfeeding!! Thanks for any advice!!!
jenndablessedrn

Postby missy moo33 » 09 May 2014, 04:30

hi everyone how r u going i have not been breast feeding for a whole month now and my fissure re opened 2 wks ago so i thought it has to do with getting a bit constipated i never thought i was but i must be a bit once a month some people get that a bit just before a period but i wasn't getting my period so maybe my hormones were messed up so i did some research on stabilizing hormones and i read the taking maca powder can put your hormones right its an all natural powder its just radish root. so i started taking 1 teaspoon a day with a small amount of juice an like magic i got my period back 2 days later so im hoping now its all over for good but il update in a month an let everyone know how its going. good luck to u all may god enrich our lives with health and happiness.
missy moo33
Fibre Addict

Postby Flaneur » 06 Jun 2014, 08:00

Another breastfeeding mum here. I've ad a fissure or at least six months with it coming and going. I had hem surgery in February, but the fissure lingered and had botox and (i think) fissurectomy yesterday. Te rectogesic wasn't doing much for me and I just kept tearing after each heal.
My son is 7 months and while I'm sure breastfeeding is cContributing to all these problems, there is no way I'll give it up. Like jenndablessedrn I'll walk through fire to keep breastfeeding! My biggest problem is ongoing pain- my fissure was causing a burning pain all day, made worse by sitting. I can't feed lying down (I have really small boobs ) and feeding standing up gets pretty uncomfortable. So I find myself sitting down to feed a LOT and therefore in pain a lot.
Anyway, just wanted to join this thread as I think it's a great resource for other breastfeeding mamas who might have this same awful problem.
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Alyssa » 06 Jun 2014, 19:15

Maybe you can try using a heating pad/ or cold compress while you are breastfeeding your baby to help relieve some of the pain while sitting or you can find a more comfortable way of sitting (sitting up straight and adding more pressure to the vagina area instead of the rectal area). Can you side breastfeed?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Jbl22424 » 09 Jun 2014, 00:39

Hi all, figured I would update this thread to close the loop. I gave up breastfeeding because of my fissure but ended up having surgery. Wish I had done the surgery first in the end but at the time I felt like I had to exhaust the conservative options. That was the worst four months of my life. I feel for any other mommy out there who is going through the same.
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist