new way to make SURE your nifedipene gets where you need it

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

new way to make SURE your nifedipene gets where you need it

Postby havefaith » 29 Dec 2013, 09:21

Right now i am shaking, i have a bit faster heart rate and im a bit lightheaded but im happy. WHY you ask? because i know this dose of nifedipene is working! i have been in search of some way to get this in effectively and then it dawned on me...

My supportive, loving gf asked "you use anusol, why not try putting the nifedipene in the applicator and plunge it with a q tip?"

i could never get the 4 cm up with my finger and anytime i could it seemed to waste tonnes of ointment....but the applicator could reach it, so here is what i did..

1. put two little pea sized dollops of nifedipene into the anusol applicator.
2. pushed it right to the very end so it gently oozed out but still a fair bit in there. wipe the opening clean with other end of q tip.
3. screw the cap onto the anusol
4. gently insert approx 4 cm (if possible) and squeeze, all of the nifedipene will be dispensed right onto the internal spincter.

my contractions feel smaller but we will wait and see. it seems to be working so far, i will keep posted as to how it goes.

i had to write this before getting back to bed, because if you are like me, ive tried q tips and hurt myself, finger and hurt myself, even a small smooth fingerlike applicator hurt me, and often times i couldnt even get any to the internal spincter.

in my experience, if i dont feel some of the side effects from the nifedipene, then i didnt apply it correctly, however i could be wrong.

hope this helps at least one person. good luck to you all, my heart it right there with you. its hard for me right now, but im going to have faith, for myself, and for you all.
I have faith in you always, i love you like my own son or daughter, when you hurt, i hurt. Let us all be each others guiding light, and heal without anxiety :) Much love to all.
havefaith
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Re: new way to make SURE your nifedipene gets where you need

Postby pinpin » 30 Dec 2013, 04:15

Thank you for sharing you experience. I am not using nifedipine at the moment, but I will try what you have suggested and let you know.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby LostForWords » 09 Jan 2014, 18:15

havefaith wrote: if i dont feel some of the side effects from the nifedipene, then i didnt apply it correctly, however i could be wrong.

I think that you are wrong on this one but i too could be incorrect about this. My theory is the following:

Nifedipine is a calcium channel blocker. It can be used not only as an ointment, but also by oral administration and it would be wierd if not even more ways of consuming it is possible.
So, if you were to, lets say, apply the cream 20 cm up your intenstines, then the bioavability would probably increase, resulting in more subjective sideeffects due to a higher Nifedipine blood concentration - but your anal sphincter would not be as relaxed as if you had applied it directly onto the sphincter even with the lower blood concentration.

If someone KNOW how this works then I would be glad to hear you out. I find stuff like this (how the body works and everything related to that) very interesting. Just wish I diden´t have to use must of my "learning time" on how to fix my ass - oh well.

The primary reason I write this post is the following:

After reading your post HF, I thought that it sounded like a great idea so I decided to try it and so far I don´t like it. I might try again tommorrow just to make sure but so far I found it even more difficult to get those centimeters up my bum than when I use my finger. I also got a small sting feeling but nothing severe and no aftermath at all but still, I think this might not be the best idea, for me at least.

How are you doing with this method? You have another thread from today regarding a possible retear, did that happen while using this method? How has it been to do it this way the other days?

I ask as I would love to make this work for myself so I won´t have to stick my finger up there twice a day (it´s ridiculous to say the least)

Have anyone else tried this approach? How do you feel about it?
LostForWords
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby havefaith » 09 Jan 2014, 18:47

i dont know what the hell is going on up there anymore, that method wasnt bad but i used my finger yesterday multiple times and it really wasnt good i had 3 bms. ive been in spasm for over 24 hours. im just praying for soft poo, the approach seemed to be working well but you could be right plastic on a raw anal lining might not be great no matter how delicate.
I have faith in you always, i love you like my own son or daughter, when you hurt, i hurt. Let us all be each others guiding light, and heal without anxiety :) Much love to all.
havefaith
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 26 Apr 2014, 19:57

Here is a study about Nifedipine effect - local application vs. oral intake. If you have no time to read - results were the same :+++: , so I think that exact place of application for Nifedipine does not matter THAT much :dunno: . But hey - whatever works !!!! :rainbow: We are all different :grouphugs:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article
Randomized controlled pilot trial of nifedipine as oral therapy vs topical application in the treatment of fissure-in-ano.

Vivek Agrawal, Gourav Kaushal, Rachna Gupta

Department of Surgery, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, University of Delhi, Dilshad Garden, New Delhi 110095, India.
American journal of surgery(Impact Factor: 2.36). 09/2013; DOI:10.1016/j.amjsurg.2013.05.003
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT Fissure-in-ano is a common condition that leads to pain and affects quality of life. Sphincterotomy remains the gold standard, but it may lead to troublesome incontinence in some patients. To overcome this problem, numerous pharmacologic therapies have been tested with varying outcomes. The investigators compared the effect of the addition of oral and topical nifedipine to conservative measures in the treatment of patients with fissure-in-ano.
Ninety patients with fissure-in-ano, randomized into 3 groups of 30 each, were included in the study. Group I received conventional treatment, group II received oral nifedipine and conventional treatment, and group III received topical nifedipine along with conventional treatment. Patients were followed for 8 weeks for pain relief (assessed using a visual analogue scale) and healing to evaluate the effect of treatment.
Pain relief was significantly better in the group III at 3 weeks and 2 months compared with group I (P < .05). Groups II and III were comparable in terms of pain relief. Healing rates were significantly better in group II (P = .03) and group III (P = .00) compared with group I, but groups II and III were found to be comparable. Adverse effects were most commonly reported by group II patients, but these were not significantly higher than in other 2 groups.
We recommend the addition of either oral or topical nifedipine to conservative measures to significantly improve pain relief and healing rates in patients with fissure-in-ano.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby leanne27 » 29 Apr 2014, 06:07

My CRS advised that nifedipine only need to be applied to the sphincter and not internally. That suits me as sticking anything up my bum would have caused problems with opening up the fissures.
leanne27
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby havefaith » 13 May 2014, 10:27

You are correct leanne and i thought i would speak out about this because i had my first surgeon and a GI both tell me i needed to go up at least three cm. they were absolutely adament about that. As it turns out i never retore from the above strategy, only created more spasms. My finger was what caused continual retears. after seeing the best crs in the city he told me thats a great way to create more spasms and retears. He said to apply it as you would smear toothpaste in the crack of cement. It just needs to get in there.
havefaith
Salt Bather

Postby agnibeat » 17 May 2014, 08:38

Apply higher quantity of nifedipine in the peri-anal area. After a few months taper off the nifedipine. Typically as patients taper off they have a re-tear within a week to upto four weeks... If this happens repeat two more cycles of medicine.. Make sure you tried fully...Then go for LIS.... LIS is the gold standard for AF.
agnibeat
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby mmklinemm » 16 Jun 2014, 19:47

havefaith wrote:He said to apply it as you would smear toothpaste in the crack of cement. It just needs to get in there.

Thank you for being so descriptive! This is exactly what I needed to read. I had my first visit with a CRS today. He told me to apply the nifedipine externally, but he wasn't exactly clear. So, thank you!
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13