Natural Calm drink

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Natural Calm drink

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2008, 11:58

A newbie here -
Anyone here takes the Natural Calm drink, by dr. peter gillham? I've been taking this drink for over 3 months, 1/2 teaspoon before bed. It works nicely, softening the stool, but I am concerned whether or not this med will affect me in the long run. How long can a person be on this med? I e-mailed their sale rep and she said it is a safe product and I can take as long as I would like. But....what else do I expect for them to say?!?
I've been w/ other forum and joined the AF support group, but this one is for keep.

Re: Natural Calm drink

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2008, 12:05

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum! I actually have a canister of the Natural Calm you are talking about but I haven't tried it yet. I do take a magnesium supplement already so I wasn't sure if I would be overdoing it but taking both. I think long term use is fine. There is another boardie who uses this and I believe she has for awhile now.

I plan on taking magensium long term. It really does help with bms.

Postby motherluch » 31 Jan 2008, 14:45

Hi there,
I too take Natural Calm, and have been for about 4 years. My Gastro Dr. in NYC says I can take it long term no problem. As a matter of fact she encourages it, either this or Milk Of Magnesia or Miralax. Natural Calm works for me, if I don't take it at night before bed, I do not go, so it is a necessity for me. I drink more than you, about 1 1/2- 2 tsps. every night before bed and I go most every morning,( sometimes I skip a day). I love this stuff, and I would not worry about taking it long term. The only people who should not take magnesium are people who have poor kidney function. Otherwise about 80% of the population is deficient in it and really can benefit from it in many ways.
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2008, 16:03

Motherluch -
"if I don't take it at night before bed, I do not go, so it is a necessity for me." This concerns me. I'm afraid my system will be dependent on this drink. Before introducing my system with Natural Calm my body is like clock work, BM each AM. I take this drink to help softening my stool. After downing the drink I notice my tummy feel a little different....I am worry that it would damage my interior muscle linning or causing me to have other problem ;-(
a little history about me....I, a healthy 40 yr old male, have an anterior fissure/unhealed wound due to an 'un-needed' external hemorrhoidectomy procedure in April 23, 2007. I underestimated the hemorrhoidectomy procedure and allowed the general surgeon to operate on me ;-(...i realized he isn't very good, after the facts ;-( because he didn't have a clue about the complication of this beast. No after care program or diet program.....I regret everyday of my decision to have the external tags removed. Those tiny tags didn't bother me. My only reason to have them removed was that I felt then that I will be 40 soon and what ever needed to be done, just take care of it. Little did I know that I had put myself in this mess.
I need everyone advice and understand your the daily regiment. My daily consumption is generally as follows:
Drink 64oz or more
Taking 5-6 teaspoon of benefiber
2 activa yogurt
1/2 natural calm drink before bed
little rice with chicken/fish, soup, salad, soft foods
I want to stop taking the natural calm drink because there's not much write up on Natural Calm, and I feel that my tummy is telling me something that I don't understand as yet. Can someone educate me about other 'safe' product: magnesium, fish oil, that helps helps softening my stool.

Postby motherluch » 31 Jan 2008, 16:10

Just so you know, Natural Calm is nothing but Magnesium Citrate in a powdered form. I have other issues that prevent me from having normal daily bms, has nothing to do with drinking the natural calm, I have been so grateful because it is the only thing that helps me to go without any harsh stimulants. In my case, I will always have to be on something and I am glad this works for me in this area. Since you did not have this problem, I do not see how it will hurt you, only help with softening the stool like you said. I have friends who drink it who do not have any bowel issues at all, they drink it for relief from aches and pains and to sleep better, for anxiety etc...magnesium is great for a whole list of things!
What does your tummy feel like after you drink it?? Do you sip it like tea? That is what I do and I kind of like it.
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2008, 18:38

I generally mixed 1/2 teaspoon of NC with 1/2 glass of warm h2o. I chugged it down and have an activa yogurt to clean it of from my taste bud. The feeling I got is like drinking orange juice or lemonade in the morning on an empty stomach...overwhelmed by the acid/citruit feeling.
btw...i never had this drink without dinner.