6 weeks later - itching

6 weeks after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

6 weeks later - itching

Postby delta_charlie_sierra » 22 Jun 2014, 20:55

I have had a small fissure for a little over a year now. I tried Nifedipine cream, Miralax, and sitz baths throughout the year. Finally, I had the lateral internal sphincterotomy on May 13th, this year. The post-op pain wasn't terrible, but I could tell it was different. The pain was more "horizontal" than "vertical", if that makes any sense, as in, at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions.

After 4 or 5 weeks I started to having burning pain with BM's, and eventually stopped using Miralax because it was causing diarrhea, switched to Dulcolax, and started using Nifedipine again. I am concerned that the situation has not improved, though, as I still itch a lot throughout the day. Is the itching a good sign or what? Anyone else have this experience with some type of hopeful story? It still hurts a bit to go to the bathroom, I can feel the stool going over the cut.
Thanks for your feedback.
delta_charlie_sierra
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 6 weeks later - itching

Postby Apes » 22 Jun 2014, 21:03

People in the forum have described itching as a sign of healing. More importantly how ever is level of pain and whether that is lessening. I would check with your CRS.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Scientist2516 » 22 Jun 2014, 21:21

Hi delta -
I would say that there are a lot of different experiences during healing. Some heal with no problem. Some have considerable post-op pain, some itch. And you can go through different stages of healing.

I agree with Apes that it's a good idea to consult your CRS, especially if you are having pain as well as itching. Your CRS may be able to prescribe or recommend something to help the itch. Are you still using any kind of ointment, cream or other medication on your anus? An allergy or sensitivity to a medication could cause itching. Or it may be the traumatized nerve endings sending you a message that you are not fully recovered from your operation.

Full healing can take time - a LONG time. Be patient. As long as you are improving week by week, you are doing OK.

The main problem with itching is that it can be unbearable not to scratch it, and that is exactly what you don't want to do. Again, ask your CRS. In the meantime, cool water may help, or even ice.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby delta_charlie_sierra » 22 Jun 2014, 21:26

I meant to mention - I met with my CRS 2 weeks ago, and he thinks that right now I am just experiencing post-op pain. He was hesitant to look there, not wanting to open up the fissure. As I became concerned last week, I insisted on an exam and am getting one from the NP there this week. I just want to know if the fissure is healed or not. I try not to use the wipes as they seem to have caused an irritation. I just use Nifedipine right now, that is all.
delta_charlie_sierra
Fibre Addict

Postby Roidsfizzman » 22 Jun 2014, 22:19

Hi Delta,

When you went to the CRS two week ago, did he check the stiches as sometimes the stiches do not dissolve in a couple of weeks? If the stiches are still in place, they can cause itching. I am about 8 weeks post LIS op and it took me 6 weeks to have the first day without any issues. If I have a BM that is on the firm side, I still can fill the stool going over the fissure area and get some discomfort. A fissure post op can take 6 to 8 weeks to heal. If your pain is less and you are making some improvement each week, then you are still on track to heal. When I went for my 6 week check up, I did want the doctor to use a scope as it can cause some damage. If your fissure is not healed, there are other things that can be done to help it heal like the use of silver nitrate.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby delta_charlie_sierra » 22 Jun 2014, 22:55

Roidsfizzman,
No, doc didn't take a look this time. I am getting it checked out this week though. I appreciate the feedback, definitely makes me feel better about it, as I would say that things are improving. I suppose after a year, I am just starting to get impatient, unfortunately.
delta_charlie_sierra
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 23 Jun 2014, 08:39

Itching can be a by product of a yeast infection. If the area stays too wet yeast can grow. I had some itching after surgery and my doctor gave me a cream. I only had to use it a handful of times because it contained cortisone but it did the trick. Keep the area clean and dry. Good luck. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic