My Anal Fistula Story

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: My Anal Fistula Story

Postby mindfulnesshealing » 12 Nov 2012, 14:54

Hi Chris
Thanks for sharing your story. Just curious, did you have an anal papille removed when you had your fistuloctomy? Did you have an MRI before the procedure?
Thanks, JBird
mindfulnesshealing
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby james4688 » 14 Feb 2013, 07:58

hii chris..
i am tooo having same story just 9 dayzzz. in my case seton is removed.. can u suggest me some diet plans that helps to improve healing....
james4688

Topics: 1

Postby ajl1239 » 14 Feb 2013, 18:07

I am now one month out from a fistulotomy -- well, not a proper fistulotomy, but to remove a sinus/fistula from my mid-cleft to outside of the rectum. So a similar cut/wound.
Anyhow, my CRS said 2-4 weeks for healing. It is now officially 4 weeks, and the wound is still granulation tissue, but not healed, in terms of being covered by skin.
When a doctor says 'fully healed', do they not mean covered by a thin layer of fresh skin/scar? I'm just worried that perhaps the wound is going to go chronic and never develop fresh skin. About 1.5 weeks ago, I had silver nitrate used (the doctor said to give it two more weeks and it should be healed), but I'm not feeling too great at the moment.
How do you suggest I promote healing? Should I try antibiotic wound ointment (i.e. neosporin)? Also, my surgeon does not have me packing the wound at all. Should I be sticking gauze up my butt crack?
ajl1239
Salt Bather

Topics: 31

Postby james4688 » 17 Feb 2013, 02:27

after recovered fully is there any chances of it recurrence.what should we do to avoid it?
james4688

Postby venki » 14 Mar 2013, 08:41

Hi All., it might sound stupid but I have been experiencing symptoms of a fistula, I can feel a large lump on the left side butt close to my anus and when I pressed it I could feel some leaking thru my anus and when I wiped it with a tissue it looks like blood and puss. Everytime I apply pressure to that area of the lump I feel odd and immediately there's leakage thru the anus. I'm a little terrified, I had been to the CRS and have something scheduled next Thursday to have an EUA and possible fissurectomy and fistulotomy. He did explain about LIS and Fissurectomy but not much about fistulotomy. Does it involve cutting the outside of the anus (on the butt ?) to drain the absecee ? Can someone help me understand the fistulotomy procedure ?
venki
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Ever the Optimist » 22 Mar 2013, 18:33

Hi Venki,
Check my post in the 3 days post-fistulomy. I've written you a response.
James - There is an extremely mild chance of recurrence but generally not in a straightforward and simple case. They get rid of it and it's normally a highly effective and successful surgical procedure. Mine has gone with no signs I ever had it! - Fistulas form from abcesses/ blocked glands with debris etc, so my advice would be just to ensure you keep yourself as clean as possible down there! Some times, it's just bad luck! I shower clean after every BM when I can and mine's now been gone six months or so...
AJL - I was advised never to apply anything topical on a healing fistula, just to keep the area really clean and dry (especially when the wound is still open).....If your surgeon didn't pack your wound, you simply probably didn't need it because your fistula wound was probably small enough just to heal without the packing (I didn't have mine packed) as it was very small and superficial. I wouldn't worry about that but I really wouldn't apply anything on it whilst it's healing.
Good luck all!! Recover soon :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby kroert95 » 15 Jul 2014, 15:55

I just had fistulotomy surgery five days ago. No pain at all initially, even after first BM!! But now, five days into it, it hurts more than ever before. It is managable, though. It seems that at the end of the BM it stings, so I hop in the shower with the spray nozzle to clean it off, then after draining tub I take a sitz bath for about 10 minutes. I can't sit there for 20 minutes due to my ADHD!! It takes about two minutes into my sitz bath for the stinging pain to subside. Reminds me a bit of the pain from my fissure two years ago. But just knowing there is an end helps me through. Thanks for the post. Very comforting to hear a similar story and what I might expect!!
kroert95
Fibre Addict