How soon is too soon for stitches to fall out?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

How soon is too soon for stitches to fall out?

Postby Beamer23 » 18 Jul 2014, 03:39

Hi guys,

I am one week out from an LIS procedure (although the CRS never actually ended up cutting my muscle, just removed the anal fissure and stitched over it... so, still not exactly sure what to call my procedure!) Anyways, I am so glad to say that the pain is subsiding more and more each day. I am hopeful that my recovery stays as consistent as it has been.

However, I am curious about how soon is too soon for dissolvable stitches to start falling out? I took a sitz bath this evening and when I went to empty it, I noticed one stitch in the water. As I said, I am 7 days out and am worrying that this is too soon for the stitches to start coming out. My biggest worry is that I'll be right back in the hospital getting my bum restitched!

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Beamer23
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: How soon is too soon for stitches to fall out?

Postby Roidsfizzman » 18 Jul 2014, 11:33

Hi Beamer,

From your description the procedure that was performed was a fissurectomy. The fissurectomy is done when there is scare tissue or tags that prevent the fissure from healing. The typical time for the dissolvable stitches to dissolve is 10 days to 3 weeks. If you have any concerns, it is best to call you doctor. It is a good sign that your pain is getting better each day.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Beamer23 » 18 Jul 2014, 16:41

Hi Roidsfizzman,

Thanks for your reply. So do you think I should be worried that I found a stitch after just a week? So far I have only found one. I went to the doctor yesterday with a false alarm about an infection from the surgery... so I don't want to cry wolf again to them if the stitches isn't really a problem!
Beamer23
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Roidsfizzman » 18 Jul 2014, 18:34

Beamer,

If you do not have any bleeding or pain, you should be OK after a week. My concern would be the skin did not seal and it never hurts to give your doctor a call to let them know what happened. Is your fissure internal or external?
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4