Temporary colostomy?

Anyone ever heard of it?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Temporary colostomy?

Postby suzyljank » 16 Jul 2014, 12:01

Hi, I had a friend who had the bag temporarily for a few month to heal after bowel surgery. She also had a fistula and a fissure. In the down time with the bag it didn't heal either. You have to address what is causing the problem in the first place. If your resting pressure is too high or you have stenosis which doesn't allow the bms to pass without tearing and fissure can't heal or keep recurring. What kind of flap did you have? I had two open flaps, it looked horrific, thank goodness I didn't look at the pictures until a year later but it allowed the skin around the opening to be able to stretch without too much tension. My flaps were about the size of a silver dollar each. I healed slowly. The only problem that still bothers me is panties. The elastic on underwear hits the area the grafts were taken from and it can sometimes get irritated easily. Haven't solved that situation yet but I'm trying. I also was told not to use cotton or toilet tissue while the wounds were open because it leaves residue and can lead to infection so I'm not so sure about the cotton ball idea. Try taking a piece of a viva paper towel and putting it between your cheeks. It will absorb any moisture and does not leave residue behind. I wish you all the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby asdf123456 » 16 Jul 2014, 12:37

I agree Suzy, and that is my fear. I had a y-v which is a MUCH less invasive flap than your procedure. But I also had a severe stricture that was treated with dilation rather than advancement flaps initially, so that makes me think I just need some more skin down there to close the wound. The doctors even acknowledged that I do have a mild degree of stenosis still, but it isn't severe enough that they think it could be the source of these two non healing wounds. I disagree. I think I have stenosis, just as you did. It may be milder than it was, but it's enough for me to rip my wounds open every time I have a BM. The story is similar to almost every other post/hemmie blogger on this website. The initial doctor cut too much tissue out, just like you, OMB, PinPin, and others.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby suzyljank » 16 Jul 2014, 13:25

Hi, you can't get rid of stenosis entirely. I had severe stenosis ( I couldn't pass a kernel of corn) and now I have functional stenosis. My last surgery was proctoscopy with dilation and 2 advancement flaps. I had LIS years earlier but that doesn't really help stenosis. I maintain by dilation once a day and 2 to 2 1/2 tsp. of miralax at bedtime. I eat fiber but I do not over do it. I have IBS and too much fruit is not my friend. I do have a hard time drinking enough liquid but I manage. When my CRS saw me he told me I wasn't a candidate for a closed flap, he said when it healed it would pull too much and I could tear. It was uncomfortable and I did stay in the hospital for a little while but I put my trust in him. I think after these surgeries you are always mindful of taking care of the area. I put my surgery off for 5 years and wish I would have done it sooner but I ran out of options and I'm thankful I finally got the courage up to do it. I hope you find a resolution that works for you Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby owmybum » 22 Jul 2014, 13:12

How are things going for you asdf??
Have you seen your crs yet??
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby asdf123456 » 22 Jul 2014, 17:12

The two doctors have yet to converse, so I am still waiting to hear back. In the meantime, I made an appointment with yet another CRS in NYC to get his view on the flap situation. I am also taking some type of blood test for crohns disease, as my father did have it it seems a little suspicious. I had a colonoscopy that came up negative a while back, and I doubt I have it because I am otherwise asymptomatic, but I might as well get the blood test and possibly an small bowel MRI during this downtime for the hell of it.
asdf123456
VIP

Postby owmybum » 23 Jul 2014, 12:56

Yes, it would be very wise to have testing for crohns... Especially as your dad was a sufferer.

When is your appointment with the NYC CRS?
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby asdf123456 » 23 Jul 2014, 16:47

in 1 week. Just another opinion I figure on whether or not I can be flapped...
asdf123456
VIP