Lidocaine cream

Will it numb internal fissure if applied externally?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Lidocaine cream

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 26 Jul 2014, 19:09

I was originally looking for an anesthetic to apply internally but I am afraid of burning or irritation. I am postop for about a week and a half and have had bad, hard BMs. Trying my best to soften things up, but I am afraid of the next BM tomorrow. I had extreme pain today and can barely walk much right now.

Will lidocaine numb the stretching feeling during a BM if applied topically? I also have pramoxine for topical use. I am desperate as I am sure many poor souls on this forum are.
Deleted User 3641

Re: Lidocaine cream

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 26 Jul 2014, 19:12

FYI my post op was for botox and "minor" fissurectomy surgery done. Constipation and diarrhea caused me to be in extreme pain right now due to the anesthesia. I have anusol hc suppositories but not sure if inserting anything at this stage is wise.
Deleted User 3641

Postby Roidsfizzman » 27 Jul 2014, 09:01

Hi MiserableOne,

With your recent minor fissurectomy, I would not put anything on in the area as you need to let the healing take place without interference. When I had my minor fissurectomy with LIS, I was told by my CRS not to put any creams in the area. I would call your doctor before applying any creams in the area. Did you receive any pain pills?

I understand what you are going through as I also wanted to use creams, but I stuck it out with no creams for the long term healing of the fissure.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 27 Jul 2014, 10:58

I took Motrin a couple of days back, but stopped it since I think my system may have become constipated because of it. I had more hard stool this morning which was very painful but no spasms afterwards or blood. The only pain killer I take is Valium but sparingly.

I decided to move around the house by walking back and forth and stimulated a BM but it was again hard. After that I decided to take a 30 minute walk outside. I felt energized afterwards but not sure if that will help keep things moving and soft.

The only thing I apply on the area is coconut oil. That seems to sooth me. Also applying it sometimes by massaging it lightly externally helps me release gas.

Today my pain is a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. The long walk seemed to help a bit.
Just wondering if I should stop psyllium or just keep going with it. Something tells me that the wound was opened last week and I should just bear the pain until the stretching from the BM tolerable.
Deleted User 3641

Postby Sakura1 » 28 Jul 2014, 03:03

As has been said, it's best not to use cream on the area yet, but to solve the hard BM issue, have you tried Laxido? (contains Macrogol). Nothing else got my bm's soft enough and I am so much better since moving to it.

I found taking psyllium or any significant amount of fibre just gave me huge bm's and made everything worse.

I have to say I never found any of the creams containing topical painkillers to actually do anything. They certainly never made my pain any better. Paracetemol and baths give most relief.
Sakura1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 28 Jul 2014, 10:06

I did not end up using any topical anesthetic/numbing agent. I used Vaseline within the anal canal liberally and lubricated a glycerin supposity. 30 minutes later the hard stool came out with minimal pain. Vaseline made a huge difference.
The doctor on call advised me to use Milk of Magnesia to get everything else soft within my colon. I did that. About 6 hours later, I had what looked like two days worth of BMs, but the stool looked soft and not runny. Unfortunately, I went into extreme spasm and pain for about 10 minutes and had to lie down. It eventually subsided after taking one valium and one motrin. I did not have a choice on pain killers since the pain was so extreme. As a precaution I decided to take psyllium husk with water followed by 16 ounces of lemon water. I then waited an hour before eating anything. Took a hot shower, had breakfast and then went for a long walk making sure to hydrate as much as possible and include coconut oil in all of my food.

I really feel that lack of movement is the main cause for the hard stool. I was generally active before the surgery. Today I feel no pain at all. However, what concerns me is why I am getting spasms from large stool even with Botox.

Sorry for the long email which seems off topic from this thread, but just had to explain my situation better.

As for Laxido/Miralax, I am hypersensitive to the stuff. Even 5mg causes me to go almost 5 times a day. I am avoiding right now.
Deleted User 3641