What happens when Botox wears off?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Postby Bernie S. » 31 Jul 2014, 18:22

Hi,
I'm new to the group. I had an anal fissure after giving birth and I found this group a few months ago. Huge help. I had botox about 2.5 months ago. My CRS said there was no need to schedule a follow up unless I felt that I needed a second round of botox. Over the past 2 weeks I have had some irritation. Nothing close to what it was like when the fissure was causing spasms, but enough that it is making me nervous. I have no pain with BM, just mild irritation that comes and goes though out the day. Is this normal? Does it sound like I need to have a second round? I don't want to go back unless I have to. I am scared that if I have an exam the fissure might re-tear.
Bernie S.

Topics: 1

Re: What happens when Botox wears off?

Postby Alyssa » 31 Jul 2014, 18:37

Bernie,

I also get that mild irritation that comes and goes and it drives me nuts! According to this forum this is normal but I will have others chime in who have much more experience than I do.
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Apes » 31 Jul 2014, 20:30

Chiming in....
Welcome to the forum, I had Botox almost 3 months ago. I feel the last week it has stop working. The main difference is that when I feel the urge to have a BM I dont have to rush. As for the irritation I have an external hem that when swollen is slightly uncomfortable and a sentinel tag that is somewhat bothersome. They both act up when I have multiple BMS in a day. I Herat from other people on the forum that this quite normal. In fact you may not feel normal down there for a very long time. My condition is nothing like the fissure and spasm before. I have not gone back to the CRS to find out if I'm completely healed. I do that on ?Monday. At times I still feel like there is a cut there but cannot see it. I think it's more the issue of the sentinel tag. Every once in a while I see blood on the TP, I also think that is the sentinel tag or perhaps internal hem, I had them before. Although this is all annoying it is so much better then what I went through before, I was incapacitated and now I have a life. If you are not having the cutting pain during BM and the spasms after I would say you are doing well. Good luck
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Apes » 31 Jul 2014, 20:34

Bernie, about an exam and re tear, on my first follow up I would not let the doctor do an internal exam. My reasoning was what for? If I was healing she would do nothing and if I was not she would say just give it more time.
At this point however I would really like to know if it has healed and feel the peace of mind might be worth the minor risk. I'll make that decision on Monday.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Bernie S. » 31 Jul 2014, 20:45

Apes, The funny thing about my AF is that the doctor is not 100% sure he could even see it. He said it was so small that he didn't want to do anything. It took me going in 3 times (one time I was in so much pain that I was crying) before he finally gave me botox. Even then he said that he couldn't see it but my symptoms were classic AF. I just want this to be gone. I am so sick of thinking about my bum!
Bernie S.

Postby Apes » 31 Jul 2014, 20:48

That's the thing about an AF if you got the symptoms you got it. Glad you were persistent and sounds like you are on the right track. Keep us posted.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Bernie S. » 01 Aug 2014, 19:52

Apes, Good luck on Monday. Let us know what the doc says.
Bernie S.