NOT in agonizing pain. Should i still go for LIS?

few years of fissure pain been offered LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

NOT in agonizing pain. Should i still go for LIS?

Postby jay2502 » 08 Sep 2014, 11:15

could really do with some advice here.
for about 3 years now i have had pain around my anal region, and its always in a different place, sometimes its the slight tear just above the anus between the cheeks, which keeps coming and going.
sometimes its a pain just below the anus on the opening, and sometimes its all around!
about a year ago now in august 2013 it was unbearable and i was sitting in a bowl of hot water regularly in my room whilst watching tv. thats when i said enough was enough and got referred to the hospital.
i saw a man who seemed to pinpoint the fissure and gave me some GTN cream and said if it didnt work he may have to operate. anyway the GTN was awful and gave me horrendous headaches so the next time i went back i was greeted by someone else, not the original man. he gave me a different cream 'Diltiazem hydrochloride 2% Cream', i ended up on THREE courses of this cream over the period of 3/4 months.
and on my final appointment with him he sent me packing after doing an examination and saying 'there isnt much to see'. :roll:
i felt better, but not healed, but i took his word for it and waited a couple of months and the problem still persists, admittedly not as bad as i was a year ago, but still irritating. i went back to my doctor and he referred me to a different hospital.
i have my first appointment there last month and he said he was treating me as a new patient disregarding the time i had at the other hospital, and he ofcourse prescribed me Diltiazem hydrochloride 2% Cream. i used it, and while using it the pain does seem to be a little less harsh but as soon as i come off it the problems start up again the longer i am off it, so on my appointment last week at the same hospital but annoyingly with a DIFFERENT doctor, who again prescribed me Diltiazem hydrochloride 2% Cream . so this is the FIFTH time i am using it in the space of a year.

he mentioned that i either live with the problem as a 'lifestyle' thing, or i go for the muscle cutting operation.

now i have been living with it, but living with it in the hope that one day it will be better again. does it sound like LIS will solve all my problems?

as i say, i have read other stories about people being in ''agonizing'' pain and ''bleeding'' but that is not me. It has not been bleeding down there at all since i stopped using toilet tissue around 18 months ago and instead use a personal 'sitz bath' type thing to clean myself. i also would not say its ''agonizing'', it is just EXTREMELY irritating. sometimes painful, sometimes not so painful.
i also avoid having any kind of sexual encounter alot incase they end up 'seeing' down there or trying to 'touch' down there. so in a way it does affect my life, and i do have the odd sleepless night. because of the pain (i am a very light sleeper so anything sets me off)

is it worth me going for the procedure? will it help me? will it leave me with a scar? COULD it make things worse?? :o

i have no idea about this, so any help would be appreciated. sorry for the long post, i know it won't make much sense but i hope i have given the jist of things.
jay2502
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: NOT in agonizing pain. Should i still go for LIS?

Postby Alyssa » 08 Sep 2014, 14:25

Jay,

Have any of these doctors offered Botox? If they don't, can you find one that does offer it?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby jay2502 » 08 Sep 2014, 15:26

Alyssa wrote:Jay,

Have any of these doctors offered Botox? If they don't, can you find one that does offer it?

no, in all honesty they have been fairly useless so far. this is on the NHS, so i find it difficult to complain too much as its free healthcare.
what are the advantages of Botox, and how would you broach the subject with them ? :thanx:
jay2502
Salt Bather

Postby Alyssa » 08 Sep 2014, 21:29

Can you go private? There are others on this forum that are on nhs... Perhaps they can offer you some advice as to how you should proceed...
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby suzyljank » 08 Sep 2014, 22:44

Hi, If you have had a fissure for 3 years it's not going to heal on it's own. An acute fissure will heal in 6-8 weeks but if you go beyond that it becomes chronic and healing isn't likely. Also if you've had your fissure for a long time it's not unusual to see no blood. Part of the reason a fissure doesn't heal is because the blood flow to the area is interrupted because of the spasming. No blood flow and the fissure can't heal. I had my fissure for almost 7 years. I had LIS after the first year and when it didn't help I struggled for over 5 more years. I finally had 2 advancement flaps done over a year ago. I wish I would have had it taken care of sooner. I let fear stop me from getting the surgery I needed. If your fissure is healed and you're getting residual pain that's another story. You might want to get another opinion and then decide. Good luck Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Jbl22424 » 10 Sep 2014, 01:06

Find a doctor who you feel confident in and get surgery. My LIS was a great experience and I agree with Suzy it will not likely heal on it's own. Just make sure you trust your doc.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jay2502 » 10 Sep 2014, 05:01

The pain has been pretty bad now for the past few days, its ever since he examined me prodding about. Had a VERY sharp pain during a BM this morning :(

Just how likely is it that LIS will work? I really do not want to go through surgery for somthing which is not likely to work. I am terrified of being put to sleep for a start !
jay2502
Salt Bather

Postby Roidsfizzman » 10 Sep 2014, 13:00

Hi Jay,

The success rate with LIS is over 90%. There are risks with any surgery. I believe the risks are small compared to the upside of not having fissure pain. The surgery is minor as it takes about 10 minutes. I also had a fissure over 3 years. I did LIS about 4 months ago and the fissure is healed, but I do still have some after BM discomfort, and at this time the doctor does not know why. If I never get worse, it is manageable as the LIS surgery has made my life better. The LIS surgery will allow more blood flow to the fissure to promote healing, reduce the spasms and help the stool to exit without straining or pushing.

The surgery and after surgery pain was nothing compared to the fissure pain that I was having. Your doctor is correct that you can accept the pain as a life style or try to make your life better by taking the next step.

If you decided to do Botox, some doctors will give the shots without putting you under. With a 3 year old fissure you would most likely have a 50/50% chance to heal with Botox.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Jbl22424 » 10 Sep 2014, 23:43

I didn't get put to sleep for surgery, it was IV sedation. It has a very high success rate. I plan to do another one if I don't heal up and don't have a quarter of the anxiety about it now that I've been through it. It was really no big deal.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jay2502 » 13 Sep 2014, 09:17

thanks for replies.
the doctor said i would be in and out of the hospital with no down time afterwards, i could go on exercising as normal as soon as the next day. does this sound right ?! :dunno:
jay2502
Salt Bather