NOT in agonizing pain. Should i still go for LIS?

few years of fissure pain been offered LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: NOT in agonizing pain. Should i still go for LIS?

Postby suzyljank » 13 Sep 2014, 09:49

Hi, there is no down time in the hospital, it's an outpatient procedure but going right back to exercising, that doesn't sound right. I was told to take it easy for a few weeks, no heavy lifting and no vigorous exercise for a while. Your fissure will still be there after surgery. LIS allows more blood flow to the area so the fissure can heal and that can take 6-8 weeks. You'll have to continue on some kind of stool softener for a while and stay hydrated. Constipation would not be a good thing after surgery. It's not a bad surgery at all though. I wish you a speedy recovery but give yourself some time to heal. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby asdf123456 » 13 Sep 2014, 11:11

Where are you from? You're CRS sounds overly optimistic. Do NOT exercise the next day- LIS has a 95+ success rate, but in my opinion, you want to do everything in your power to make sure you are not in that <5% who do not completely heal (like me!!!). So I am a little OCD, but I would not do a single thing that could cause insult to injury or constipation, until your doctor looks into your ass in a few weeks and tells you the wound is gone and you are 100% back to normal. Then I would gradually pick back up with the exercise. The longer you go with it healed, the more durable the scar will be...So it's best to just give the thing some time and then resume exercise and everything when you're confident your butt can take it. That's just me...Pain-wise my surgery wasn't too bad, but the surgeons always underestimate the recovery in my opinion because they are detached from reality.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby Fellk » 13 Sep 2014, 12:08

I was in a similar boat to you. I'd had issues for 5 years with tears etc but it was never crazy pain. By year 3 I'd learned to control it well enough I never tore but had to use a lot of drugstore products like miralax etc. I went for surgery as this isn't something I should have to do. The surgery is also super super minor. My operating time was 7 minutes. Recovery wasn't fun but it wasn't bad. I did take a month and not do much physical, took the bus rather then cycle but I was just being cautious. I'm all healed, no butt problems and don't take any products. It was very worth it.

I do agree that the surgeons dont quite get the recovery aspect. I'd plan to go back to work the next day and it just wouldn't have happened. I was slow moving for the first 3 days for sure and in pain but slept lots. By day 5 it just was like healing a fissure.
Fellk
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby jay2502 » 13 Sep 2014, 15:10

What sort of 'pain' is it after the op, if that makes any sense.
And how long does the pain go on.
jay2502
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby Fellk » 13 Sep 2014, 15:50

jay2502 wrote:What sort of 'pain' is it after the op, if that makes any sense.

It's hard to describe. It's not like fissure pain. When going to the washroom it just felt numb but there was a sting (probably due to the stitches). If I walked fast it'd catch me with a jolt of pain. I was given some percocets and I did use all of them. At first it was just to take the sting off but after a day or two it was just later in the night so I could fall asleep quick and hard.
Fellk
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby jay2502 » 18 Sep 2014, 11:02

Fellk wrote:
jay2502 wrote:What sort of 'pain' is it after the op, if that makes any sense.

It's hard to describe. It's not like fissure pain. When going to the washroom it just felt numb but there was a sting (probably due to the stitches). If I walked fast it'd catch me with a jolt of pain. I was given some percocets and I did use all of them. At first it was just to take the sting off but after a day or two it was just later in the night so I could fall asleep quick and hard.

stitches ? where do these go ?
i really need to research this procedure more :oops:
jay2502
Salt Bather

Topics: 20