back to square one

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

back to square one

Postby Guest » 05 Feb 2008, 21:55

how do you all deal with this? i was healing and even had a few days with no pain at all. i was happy again, playing with my daughter comfortably on the floor (this was a huge thing for me!) and then BAM! hard poo one day and i am back to square one. bleeding, BM feel like razors, spasms all day......
i just want to give up. i am so tired of this crap. i can't enjoy life this way. my daughter keeps me going through the day but i can't see any silver linings on my clouds any more.
please tell me it is possible to have this kind of set back, start all over again and get back to healing. i need some encouragement. thanks everyone

Re: back to square one

Postby Fissulyna » 05 Feb 2008, 22:33

Dear Mom, I had about 7 setbacks like you when I decided to have LIS. Yes, it is possible to be completely out of pain for days and than have a major setback and start all over again : (((. Any time that happened I would spend whole day crying because I knew that I have to go through days and days of "giving birth to a pineapple" couple of times a day (I went 4-5 times a day because I used all kinds of stool softeners and such and was eating fiber like maniac). I managed to go without pain 3 weeks in a row and than right before my period opened fissure again and that was it for me - just couldn't take it any more after 5 months of ups and downs and I booked first available slot for LIS.
I am so sorry to hear that you had a setback : (((. It is very disheartening, I know : (, but yes - it is possible to heal again !!!
Best of luck !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby juney » 06 Feb 2008, 00:07

there are always ups and downs in the healing process. i've had 2 LIS surgeries and i'm still not healed completely. it seems like everytime i think i'm making some progress i ultimately get knocked back to what feels like square one by a hard BM. it's always taken a few weeks to get on track. it's agonizing, frustrating, and all-around hell so i understand what you're going through.
you just have to keep trying and keep doing everything "right". try to pinpoint what it was that caused the hard BM in the first place. and try new "remedies"...i can't recall what you've done so far. creams? botox? surgery? hot baths, stool softeners, MOM...do as much as you can to get yourself back to a comfortable place. it HAS to get better, you have to keep telling yourself that.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby SunshineHope » 06 Feb 2008, 01:28

Dear New mom,
I completely understand where you are coming from. I started off with two fissures and two large skin tags. Everything was going so smoothly for me (like SO smoothly!) and I probably hadn't been eating well for a day or two, and my BMs started to hurt again/were dry and hard. So the day came where I basically had a really, hard painful one and saw a lot of blood coming out of a new location - so I think I've ripped myself a third fissure :). I was really disappointed but tried to stay hopeful, taking deep breaths, and it worked. You just have to have hope, really, that everything will be ok, and it truly will... Just have to keep patience and keep up with the routine.
My big tear happened a few days but I've been trying to eat more fruit and I've been applying aloe vera at least once a day (but I try for at least twice a day - although the more, the better, I think). It has helped me a lot so far, I've been having no pain and almost forgot about my fissure(s), but there's no way I can let myself forget, because Ineed to keep up with the diet!
I know it can be so, so upsetting to have to "start all over again", but is it even really starting all over again? Not really... Since we know now what helps us and what we need to do to get better, we wont have so much agony thinking that we're never going to feel better again... Because we have felt better... And we will again :)
Take care and lots of love to you...
P.S. Fiss, I love the idea of "giving birth to a pineapple" , how clever!:D hehe..
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby val » 06 Feb 2008, 01:42

I think that is the most frustrating part of the fissure, all the reoccurances. It's like some kind of demon that comes back to haunt you every time you dare to feel better!
I put up with it for 7 months then got a fistula and HAD to have surgery, but so far, touch wood, everything is fine and I would definitely reccomend the LIS-but only if you have a good surgeon.
Hang in there, it WILL get better, it just doesn't seem like it at the moment-drink loads, keep to the diet, and take the softeners -you'll soon be back on track! Good luck!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 5 » 06 Feb 2008, 12:15

You really do have to finds a way to deal with the setbacks, with the severe disappointment that comes from thinking you are actually healing then find the d@mned thing is back.
Yes, you can still heal. Often the setbacks are minor. I really can't add anymore to the fine advice given above, but I am offering my encouragement, hang in there, kittycat!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 06 Feb 2008, 13:28

I'm relatively new here, so I honestly don't have any additional advice to offer. I just wanted to add some words of encouragement. Hang in there and keep doing all of the things that have been working for you so far. It may turn out to be a very minor trouble spot and your body will bounce back from it quickly. Stay strong and try to stay positive - you can beat this!

Postby Guest » 06 Feb 2008, 18:59

Mom,

Hang in there, everyone is here for you. Stay on your routine and take your baths. Time helps heal. I know it is hard to deal with. Have you been to a CRS? I have had 2 shots of Botox and they have really helped me. This is a tough thing to heal because it is in a delicate spot. I have had set backs myself, but each time I was a little bit more strict with my eating and routine. I hope you feel better. Keep your chin up.

Patty

Postby Guest » 07 Feb 2008, 02:57

Yes, I know exactly how you feel, as we all do. this thing is like a game of snakes and ladders, and just when you're getting near to the top, you hit a big snake and slide back down to the bottom again.
But all you can do, as said above .is stick to the regime.
I think most of the setbacks when we really think about it can be when we have let the regimen slip even if only a little bit, like forgetting to take the lasdt stool softener. or forgetting to drink an extra cup of water if you have a coffee etc etc.
Stay positive. I know thats hard cos it has been for me and Im only at two months so far..so to those of you who have been battling this for much longer...... a big respect!!