Fissure treatment

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fissure treatment

Postby Gillyfr » 02 Oct 2014, 08:54

Hi,

I have had a fissure since Nov last year that has remained I diagnosed until now, the doctors misdiagnosed as hemorrhoids and I was given cream and suppositories for hemorrhoids needless to say they didn't help! I have been in lots of pain with every BM and have felt very depressed and alone for the past 11 months. I have a good diet with lots of water so have done everything I can to help. I was finally referred to a consultant last week who has booked me in for Botox in 3 weeks time. Now although I'm glad that something is finally being done about my fissure, I am wondering whether I should have been prescribed creams (GTN or other) instead of going straight for surgery. I am really nervous about the surgery which involves having general anaesthetic so obviously I would much prefer to start with the creams first then go for the surgery if they don't work. I was wondering whether anyone knows why I wasn't given the option of using the cream first, is it because I have had the fissure for so long and therefore it wouldn't do much to help now or has the consultant misunderstood that I was given cream but it was for hemorrhoids rather than a fissure and thinks I have already tried creams? I'm not sure what to do, whether to go to my op in 3 weeks or go to the doc and request cream first to see if that works before having the op? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Gillyfr

Topics: 3

Re: Fissure treatment

Postby mmklinemm » 02 Oct 2014, 10:26

Welcome! I'm sure you don't want to be a part of this club, but it's a great place for advice and support. I'm sure you weren't offered ointments because you've had the fissure so long. My CRS explained they really only work if you start them quickly and apply them religiously. I've only had my fissure for 4 months, and it has already become chronic. I didn't realize "chronic" described the status of the tissue, in addition to the length of time you've had the wound. Basically, the cut no longer has nice clean edges that easily heal back together on their own.
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby Sakura1 » 02 Oct 2014, 11:02

Hi there
Sorry to hear you have a fissure. I would give the cream a try, if nothing else it may make the next few weeks more comfortable whilst you wait for the Botox.

I went for about 3 months before I got the cream and wished I'd had it sooner. It didn't heal me but got rid of the spasms and greatly reduced the pain.
Sakura1
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 02 Oct 2014, 12:34

Welcome to the forum, Gillyfr. There are three types of creams/ointments that you can get, the two you haven't mentioned are both Calcium Channel Blockers and are Diltiazem and Nifedipine. No harm in trying one of them in the meantime, if you can get your doctor to agree. These and GTN, bring blood to the area and help to heal. What also helps is a Sitz Bath, which you can buy on the net or at a local pharmacy. GTN is known for headaches for some using it, so best to start off moderately.

We all know where you are with the pain! Hang in there. :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby jlm1 » 03 Oct 2014, 04:46

hello and sorry you are suffering!! This is one of the worst pains I have ever experienced. I got my fissure in May, tried creams eventually had botox in July. I was awake and she gave me two injections in the doctors office. It's not fun getting injections there but it really wasnt that big of deal. Hurt for a few seconds and then was over. I don't know if that is an option for you. I had a deep and significant fissure so it was no joke! Maybe your doctor can do the same?
Now more than 2 months later, the fissure seems to have healed!! I developed another issue but that's a different story.
Keep stools soft, hot baths helped me a lot and hot water bottles. Let us know how it goes!
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Gillyfr » 03 Oct 2014, 14:09

Thank you so much for all of your replies and advice, I am so happy I found this site, after nearly a year of pain during and after every BM it's nice (even though it's unfortunate that we all have this condition) to read other peoples stories and get support. Since posting I have researched my consultant and he seems to be a really good doctor, even been in the press, so I feel more confident about his diagnosis and his advice of treatment of Botox. I am having to go under general anaesthetic as he wants to have a nosy around with a camera before doing the Botox, I also have a sentinel pile which he may remove.
Jim, how were you after the Botox in terms of bowel movements and pain? Was it an instant relief, or did it hurt more before it got better? I'm sorry to hear you have another.
Gillyfr