Prescription Cream Pulled Me Out Of Living Hell!

In agony for a month and could barely work until I got prescription compound cream

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Prescription Cream Pulled Me Out Of Living Hell!

Postby DizMktg » 15 Oct 2014, 22:35

Talk about the perfect storm, my lithotripsy procedure led to constipation and hard stools until the day I felt my back side rip open...I literally could not stand for hours and don't know how I didn't dial 9-1-1. Yes you can say I've had the ultimate pain coming and going between the two. And I thought Kidney Stones were excruciating until the fissure, which is about comparable on a 10-point pain scale.

Being the strong minded idiot macho male, and having just come from Doctors and anesthesia and the hospital, I was not mentally prepared for more so soon after kidney stones...but after a month of bloody stools that had me crying out load and having to leave work multiple times after being in agony for hours after going, I finally broke down and called a colon and rectal surgery practice. FYI I also tried every stupid thing over the counter I read about on the internet - except for a warm bath which maybe helped my pain 5%, absolutely NONE of it works and is a waste of money.

Fast forward to Monday of this week when I finally had my appointment - although the Dr. could not perform a full exam due to my pain, he confirmed he was 98% sure it was indeed a fissure. I described all I had been through and that I was hoping to avoid surgery if at all possible, but I could no longer function normally, lived in terror of having to go to the bathroom, and just needed to end the physical pain. He prescribed a cream from a compounding pharmacy consisting of Diltiazem, Bethanechol and ladocaine, and I'm sure he took pity at how desperate for relief I sounded.

Well After a month plus of suffering with some days far worse than others, I rushed home to apply the cream and the relief was both immediate and amazing. It's only been 2.5 days, but the difference is night and day! I'm not cured by any means so soon, and I still had some level of pain (though way lower) and quite a bit of blood today, but this magical stuff has truly given me my life back and I can function and work again.

I go back in 4 weeks and I know it will be 10 times better (surgery was discussed as an option if the cream did not heal it). My big mistake was thinking I could manage through it myself, and my only regret is not having gotten this medication 4 weeks earlier...I'll post again but as noted, it's amazing how far I've come in 2 days....so don't wait like I did and get this ointment as fast as you can!

P.S. - No I'm not a Doctor nor do I work for any associated company, just trying to help others avoid foolish traps and get help, as I know your pain and suffering which I don't wish on anyone!
DizMktg
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Prescription Cream Pulled Me Out Of Living Hell!

Postby Scientist2516 » 15 Oct 2014, 23:19

Hi DizMktg, I'm so glad to hear diltiazem is helping you so much. You are lucky - not everyone responds as well as you. Here's hoping you can heal on the cream alone without surgery. You have a good chance!
Fingers crossed!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby DizMktg » 16 Oct 2014, 07:35

Thanks Scientist - you and me both! My intent in posting was simply to say if you're in the agony I was and have been trying to manage with home remedies and OTC ointments and creams, don't waste a second more of your time and money because NONE of it offered any type of relief for me. Regarding the effectiveness of the prescription gel, I can't say I'm fully out of the proverbial woods just yet - but what I can say is the throbbing pain and pressure has been reduced so massively it's nothing short of a miracle, at least for my extreme situation. I should also note that it appears I was prescribed a higher dose of ingredients then most I have seen, as my compound gel is 4% Dilt, .1% Beth, and 5% Lido. Hard to say if it's just the Dilt or all 3 combined that are helping, all I know is it works.

Finally, per the surgeon I am also taking a warm bath every night (more frequent baths are not reality when you work all day at a demanding job), and I'm taking Metamucil twice a day...wishing all who suffer this dreaded curse relief and healing!
DizMktg
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 16 Oct 2014, 10:53

I agree that getting seen and treated by professionals is (almost always) the way to go. It sounds as though you are in good hands!

If you can't take frequent baths, I recommend a heat pad or hot water bottle (not too hot, which can cause spasms). Soothing warmth saved my sanity, and the advantage is that you can sit on a hot water bottle pretty much all day. I had one on my chair at work with a sweater casually flung over it so people wouldn't see it. I used the office microwave to re-heat it! (don't heat too long, it can burst!). I also put one under my bum all night long.

Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby DizMktg » 16 Oct 2014, 16:29

@scientist you are a font of information! I am going to try the heating pad tonight when I sleep, more now for promoting healing then pain relief due to the gel's early successful mitigation.
DizMktg
Fibre Addict