Upcoming LIS - I'm scared

How to survive until LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Upcoming LIS - I'm scared

Postby Chrissybabe » 27 Oct 2014, 17:26

I was lurking on this board and the hospital just called for my LIS, skin tag removal,recto seal,hysterectomy appointment, it's Dec.2,2014. So I burst out in tears, as I sit on my heating pad in extreme pain. Spasms are constant, I've been dealing with this pain for years but never has it been this bad. Stools are thin as a pencil, I'm taking stool softener every night but of course, So Much Pain. Can barely walk, not sure how to last til dec. I have 2 fissures. The creams don't work, had a bad rash (from leakage.?) dr gave me hydrocortisone and now everything is tighter (god forbid) and tons of spasms now fml I'm 41. How do you deal with pain, not only after BM but all day? Can't sit on this heat pad forever! Doc doesn't seem to hear me regarding pain, my crazy thoughts are to find cocaine and put it in my butt!!!!

Thx
LIS and tag removal on dec 2-2014
Creams didn't work
Diagnosed 2012
Suffering since 2000
Chrissybabe

Topics: 2

Re: Upcoming LIS - I'm scared

Postby Jbl22424 » 28 Oct 2014, 00:28

Did you mean fissurectomy not hysterectomy? Im sorry you are in pain. It's not much longer! Recovery will be rough for a while but worth it in the long run. Best of luck.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby mmklinemm » 28 Oct 2014, 12:20

My heart goes out to you. Facing all those procedures at once would be daunting! I read your post before I went to bed last night. I wanted to wait to reply to make sure I got everything down. I'm 38 yrs old, just had LIS last week, and had a hysterectomy in 2012. Here's my 2¢ for you...

To deal with your AF pain now:
- Take ibuprofen as soon as you wake up, so it can kick in before your BM.
- Get some lidocaine ointment and apply it when you wake up. Your CRS can give you some, or get it at the pharmacy. I found it with all the shaving/waxing supplies. It numbs the fissure to keeps the pain at bay.
- Use a peribottle or portable bidet after your BM. Just use TP to blot dry. I ordered my bidet from Amazon.
- Use a sitz bath after every BM with water as warm as you can tolerate. You won't be allowed to take real baths after the hystero, so it's worth it to get a sitz bath now.
- I found inserting Carlson Key E suppositories (from Amazon) at night was very helpful and soothing.
- Using the finger support method helps prevent some of the pain. You use your fingers to apply a little pressure below your tailbone during BM. It sounds gross, but it's really not and really helpful.
- Putting your feet on a stool/squatting in the bathroom works wonders for helping things pass quickly and easily.
- Applying coconut oil to your fissure is very soothing, especially if you can mix in a little lavender essential oil.

Hysterectomy advice:
- Check out http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/. Their forum saved my sanity. So much good advice and support! There's a section of the forum that will be dedicated to everyone who has surgery the same week as you. It's so helpful to talk with others and gauge your progress with others in the same stage of recovery. To know what you're feeling is normal or abnormal helps so much.
- Take your pain meds on schedule. Don't try to tough it out. If you can keep ahead of the pain, you'll recover so much easier. You may be tempted to hoard them and make them last longer - don't. Don't be shy about asking your GYN for a refill - they don't want you to be in pain. I can't stress this part enough.
- Stock up on colace and gas-x now. They are your friends. Your belly will be full of air afterwards, and the pain meds can cause constipation.
- Get some maternity panties before your surgery. I liked these: http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?P ... ry_Id=MC14. You'll be shocked at how bloated and swollen you'll be for weeks to months afterwards.
- Stock up on nightgowns. No matter how comfy you think your sweats or pj pants are now, they are torturous post-op.
- Have lots and lots of pillows. Trust me, there's no such thing as too many.
- I was thankful my headboard is made of iron bars. Having a handhold to change position was very helpful.
- Get one of those grabber tools. I didn't feel comfortable bending over for weeks. When the remote or your book falls and you can't reach it, you'll feel like crying. I promise.
- Stock up on soups and easy to digest, easy to make comfort foods.

I had thought I was prepared for my hysterectomy, but I really wasn't. I had no one to talk to beforehand or to give me advice. It really sucked to get home and not have any panties I could comfortably wear. I was totally unprepared for the amount and length of swelling. I think fissure pain is more excruciating than anything I've ever experienced, including natural labor and stitches without being numb. But the LIS recovery is a walk in the park compared to my hystero, which was laparoscopic transvaginal.

I hope my advice helps and doesn't overwhelm you! Please let me know if I can help in any way!! Sending hugs your way!
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby Chrissybabe » 29 Oct 2014, 12:20

Thank you mmklinemm,and it is indeed a hysterectomy not a fissure repair, but who knows what all will go down when they get in there.. I guess the pain can sure get to a person, thnks for your support
LIS and tag removal on dec 2-2014
Creams didn't work
Diagnosed 2012
Suffering since 2000
Chrissybabe

Topics: 2