New to the forum...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to the forum...

Postby zturner7 » 12 Nov 2014, 08:37

I have been perusing this forum for a long time and only recently decided it was time to seek some support. I have been dealing with a pretty nasty anal fissure for a little over a year, the result of some horrible gastro-intestinal distress from an e.coli infection. I've been using dietary supplements, topical creams, diltiazam cream for about 6 months. I hit an absolute rock bottom yesterday when came back from a run and was in a fair amount of pain with blood running down my leg. Today I'm feeling so defeated I don't even know what to do next. I eat healthily, exercise, and am only 22 years old. The biggest frustration is missing out on so many activities (I love to hike and travel). I welcome any advice or even just encouragement since after a year it feels like there will be no end...

-Zac
zturner7

Topics: 1

Re: New to the forum...

Postby msimon » 12 Nov 2014, 17:48

Hi Zac. I am sorry to hear of your troubling fissure. I too have been suffering for nearly a year and this is the eve before my potential LIS surgery. I say 'potential' because I've got really bad butterflies right now and don't know if I can actually submit myself to going. Anyway, have you considered LIS surgery? Are your bowel movements soft enough? Do you have a colorectal doctor you trust? It may be time to consider something more aggressive.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Savaici » 12 Nov 2014, 20:03

Zac, if you had blood actually dripping down your leg, I think you should make an appointment to see a CRS. You are young and it can be sorted out, so don't feel too down about it all. Most of the people on here have healed and gone on with their lives, and it is quite a few of those, far in the majority. There are some great posts written by those who are now happily living their 'other' lives! Are you also taking a good probiotic, by the way? Should take one after an e.coli run in. This can get better. You just have to not let it control you, so to speak.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Scientist2516 » 12 Nov 2014, 22:56

Definitely see a CRS. It's perfectly OK to go back and say, I'm doing everything you told me, I'm eating right, I'm using the medication, and it's not working, we need to try something new.
Don't keep struggling on - the CRS needs to know that you aren't healing. 6 months on diltiazem is more than long enough to know it's not working.
You CAN heal, but you need to be pro-active, and tell your CRS what's going on. As Savaici said, most people do beat this thing. Most get better and move on with their lives, never to visit this forum again. You are young, you've got that on your side. You can do it!

Keep us posted - let us know how you get on!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16