New here! Need some help :)

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here! Need some help :)

Postby kc247 » 15 Nov 2014, 18:06

Hello! I am new here. I unfortunately believe I have an anal fissure.
I have always had a bit of trouble with bowel movements and digestive issues. Never have been to a Doctor about it, it has never been bad enough for me to bother. Unfortunately, a couple weeks ago I noticed a little bit of blood when I wiped down there, I didn't think anything of it, and thought I must have passed something sharp or hard (not completely abnormal for me!), it was a bit bloody the next couple times I went then it wasn't. Then a couple days ago (I hadn't had a BM for almost 3 days!) I finally had one, and it hurt SO bad, I swear I could feel it tear down there, then I went again yesterday and it literally felt like I was passing a shard of glass. I tried to see in a mirror and I could see what looked like a tear, it looked quite bad to my eyes but it was a magnifying mirror, I was quite horrified! My husband tried to see and he said he could see it was red but it looked like it was too far inside to see, and it hurt for him to try to look (this was right after I went to the bathroom), it hurt for awhile after. I am scared to have another BM because it will hurt so bad! It feels better now and I am trying to keep my legs together as to not irritate it.
I have been taking fiber pills and a stool softener (not a laxative), is it bad to take both together?? I just started last night taking them. I went out today and bought some of that yogurt that is supposed to help with digestive health, and some leafy greens to make a salad for supper, I haven't been eating enough greens, and some fruit. I have also been applying vaseline around the area and inside a little bit.
Any other ideas?
I am so scared to go again because it will hurt but I don't want to wait because I know it will make it worse! I haven't been as active as I should be lately, so I'm going to try walking every evening with my husband like we used to in the summer. I used to to pilates daily and haven't lately because I started working every day and then I don't feel like it :( But I am going to try doing that more often too. I don't want to have to go to the Doctor about it, I just moved here in February from Canada and don't have great health insurance because my husband is in school and I don't get it with my job, we just had a big bill from when my husband had to go and I really can't afford to go again. I will if I have to but I really hope I can get it healed on my own. I'm only 24 is it normal to have one this young when I haven't ever had a baby?
Thank you for the help :)
Also forgot to add I take a multivitamin every day for women, and I have been drinking lots of water, I take a big water bottle to work with me and try to drink the whole thing before I leave.
kc247

Topics: 1

Re: New here! Need some help :)

Postby Scientist2516 » 16 Nov 2014, 23:24

Hi kc, it does sound like a fissure, but it also sounds as though you've identified it right at the start, which is great because you stand a very good chance of healing it without surgery. If you continue to to get pain during and after a BM, make sure you see a doctor right away. I know you want to avoid that, but it's important to get rectal bleeding checked out right away. The doctor can tell you if it is really a fissure or if it's something else. And getting seen early could save a LOT of money down the road, because an untreated fissure can become chronic, and need surgery. Not to mention all the pain involved.

If it's a fissure, you can get medications to put on your anus that will help it heal. Most of us here use one of these three: nifedipine, diltiazem or nitroglycerine. Not all of the them work for all people, so if the one you get doesn't help, make sure you tell the doctor that, and get a different one.

As well as the drugs, make sure you keep your stools soft. You are already drinking lots of water, which is excellent. Eat healthy food, but avoid food that bulks up your stools, and if you take supplemental fibre, be very careful and pay attention to whether your stools get bigger. You don't want to stretch the anus too much. Stool softeners are good, but again, pay attention and don't use too much, since diarrhoea can be just as bad as a big dry stool.

A really good home remedy is warmth/mild heat to the anus. You can use a rubber hot water bottle with medium hot water in it. I used to sit on mine for hours. It was definitely a contributing factor in my healing, along with nitroglycerine. As well as helping healing, it soothes the pain.

A lot of people here swear by sitz baths, or soaking in the tub.

You can get a fissure at any age, unfortunately.
I hope this helps. Other people will have good suggestions, and you can search the forum for diet tips and other useful advice. Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16