Upcoming Hemorrhoidectamy

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Upcoming Hemorrhoidectamy

Postby JonnyJ » 17 Nov 2014, 13:27

Hi everyone. I'm a 32 yo male facing hemorrhoid surgery. I've had skin tags and a fissure off and on for awhile, mostly didn't bother me much, but a few weeks back I had a very painful BM & since then throbbing down there. I thought it was another fissure but about a week ago I noticed I had very swollen fleshy tissue protruding down there on the outside. And bowel movements have been very painful. It's a sharp, stabbing throbbing pain worse than when I had a fissure. The only relief is when I soak in warm water. It mostly just hurts when passing stools. I researched and found a good colorectal surgeon who I also saw for my fissure way back and the other day in his office he had me spread and

examined me and said I have a thrombosed hemorrhoid and that it likely will not get better on it's own. He said I need to have surgery to have them removed. This has all happened suddenly I've had the skin tags for awhile and sometimes they flare up but this time has been the

worst and the pain is worse. And they seem to be much more inflamedand swollen than ever before. He's a good doctor so I trust him, but he never mentioned banding or lancing. He has me scheduled for a hemorrhoidectamy/removal in a few days. He told me I can go home the same day & also that it would be painful. Well I'm already in pain when I go to toilet so I'm thinking I should just have this done to be done with it. Maybe the reason he's doing a hemorrhoidectamy is because it's the most permanent solution for this? Whereas banding isn't the most permanent solution. Both my parents have had this done and they did ok and are fine now and I now it's a pretty routine procedure. Will this procedure also help get rid of fissures too?

I
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 11

Re: Upcoming Hemorrhoidectamy

Postby JonnyJ » 17 Nov 2014, 13:33

I just want my life back and to not have to worry about pain when I go to the restroom. Does hemorrhoid removal last a lifetime? Most of my problem comes from the external ones which are so painful. I wish there was a less invasive way to remove them but the doc seemed pretty certain about me needing a hemorrhoidectamy. And if it solves things, then that's good. How long is the recovery time and before I can exercise eat normally/work again?

I'm doing all the right dietary things already, I'm just wanting this over. Is it true that if left alone a thrombosed hemorrhoid will usually never heal itself. I don't want to just keep having hemorrhoid flare ups so if this is permanent then I'd rather do the surgery and be done with it. Anyone else go through this and can give me some encouragement? Thanks and god bless!
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 17 Nov 2014, 20:21

I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid a few years back, and had surgery as it was an emergency. It is a painful surgery, as long as you are prepared for that. Also, Do not let yourself become constipated after the surgery, invest in a Sitz Bsth (Rite Aid one is the best), and soak your rear to help with pooping. The worst for me was getting constipated afterwards. Read up on the net what you need to do to avoid this as it tripled the pain for me :affraid: Eat normally, but maybe a little less. Sorry, wish I could say it was a breeze, but it hurt worse than when I gave birth. Any questions, just ask. My hemorrhoid was huge and strangulated, or I would have lived with it. So, I have had in all, three hemie surgeries, so I know of what I speak.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby JonnyJ » 17 Nov 2014, 21:38

Thanks for the comment! So how are you doing now? Did you recover ok from the surgery and how long is the typical recovery time? I want to get it over with so I can hold a job and not worry about my butt anymore. I've already got a sitz bath and stool softeners. Neither my mom or dad needed pain med for more than a day or so after their surgeries. I just hope it works out for me and I won't have to deal with this anymore.
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 17 Nov 2014, 23:14

Jonny, I don't want to scare you but I want to make sure you know what you are getting into. Hemorrhoidectomy surgeries are about as painful as it gets. I too had an emergency thrombosed one and was not prepared for the screaming, trembling agony the surgery brought on. I recovered but it took weeks and years off my life. I wound up with a chronic pain condition in the area as my body remembered the pain everafter. I have to wonder what surgery your parents had as it sounds a bit too good to be true to be honest. The surgery also only helps you with your current hemmies. It will not prevent them for you in the future. I have heard of many people getting them back. It is, however, the only way to get rid of external ones.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby JonnyJ » 17 Nov 2014, 23:39

Yikes you make it sound so dire..I know for certain both my parents had hemorrhoidectamies. My dad had a severe case, thoug not sure if he had thrombosed ones or not, but he bounced back fairly fast. And so did my mom. They didn't have the banding the had full hemorhhoidectamies. The CRS didn't say mine was an emergency but he just said I had thrombosid. I'm still uncertain what to do. He's one of the best colorectal surgeons around. And I don't want to keep dealing with this for years to come off and on, but I also don't want the surgery to debilitate me. He told me I could go home the same day but he did admit to me that it would be painful. But againl I watched both my parents go through it and they bounced back ok.

Heres the situation..While I do have external hemorrhoids that are painful mainly when having bms, do I just postpone the surgery and hope they go away for a time, but they seem to come and go so I kind of don't want to deal with that..And while the pain is severe at times it's only when having a bowel movement and shortly after. Not other times. So I just don't know what to do. The CRS said to have them removed but I also don't want to cause a lot of pain for myself or a long recovery time. If the pain with bowel movement doesn't get better I'll probably have the surgery if it does get better, I'll wait it out..I have a week or so to make a decision.

What if my thrombosid hemorrhoid shrinks on it's own before my surgery date? Should I then put off the procedure? I'm so torn on what to do. My CRS is excellent & told me it's unlikely to get better itself..so I'm torn.
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict

Postby Alyssa » 18 Nov 2014, 02:49

Johnny,

I had my surgery over 5 years ago and the recovery was very painful...I had about 5 protruding (internal protruding externally) hemmys removed. I was told that the recovery period would take about a month but mine took longer, I would say it took me about two months to sit with no pain. I did not regret the surgery because my hemmys were very swollen (pregnancy induced) and they have not come back in my last pregnancy. The sitz bath is a lifesaver!!! The pain was bearable when I would poop in it... Spasms were intense so be prepared to be in pain
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby asdf123456 » 19 Nov 2014, 18:44

Hi,

There is a difference between having a thrombosed hemorrhoid lanced, which is like removing the blood clot and draining, and have a full classical hemmorhoidectomy surgery (either Milligan Morgan, or Ferguson techniques). It is my understanding that doctors will not always differentiate between them, and rather just call them "hemmie surgery." My dad had a number of thrombosed hemorrhoids drained, twice in the ER, but that is not the same as having a classical hemmorhoidectomy. This discrepancy could be the reason your parents were able to recover so fast, because they actually only had a lanced thrombosed external hemorrhoid drained, and the doctor never told them the difference. I don't want to scare you either, but a classical hemmorhoidectomy is extremely painful, and I would not expect to be back to normal routine for over a month or two.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby Savaici » 20 Nov 2014, 15:39

I had a Milligan Morgan, asdf. Just did not want to get too technical. I have my papers from when I had it done in Copenhagen. If I had my time over I would NEVERhave had hemhorrhoid surgery. It has been the cause of many more problems along the road, with scar tissue, etc.

I wish you well of it, J. :groan:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby JonnyJ » 21 Nov 2014, 11:12

Both my parents had full hemorrhidectamies, I asked them. My dad had pain with his but he had a severe case of roids so severe that he was leding in hi pants before surgery. Both had pain but recovered ok. The first colorectal surgeon I saw said I had a thrombosid hemorrhoid and the discharge paper he gave me said hemorrhoidectamy. And he said that's what I needed..although he didn't say it was emergency...but this past week I saw another more local CRS who looked at the area and said if I want I can wait & see if it heals any before I jump into surgery. So what do I do? I'm still in quite a bit of pain when I go to the bathroom and shortly after, it's this throbbing, sharp, pulsing pain that goes away within a few minutes if I soak in warm water. And it's only with a bowel movement. The second CRS I saw told me to keep doing sitz baths, and told me to take Metamucil powder in a drink. He said since my pain has only been around for a few weeks to see if it will heal any before having surgery. My instinct is to wait before having such a painful surgery, but my bowel movements are still so painful even though the throbbing only lasts a short time afterwards it's making me fed up and want to have the surgery, but I'd probably be in even more pain from that. So what do I do?

The second CRS this week said that I can try conservative methods first, but at what point do I give up and say enough is enoug and have the surgery? And the first CRS (who is highly rated) took one look and said I need a hemorrhoidectamy. I need to make a decision before next week. The second CRS said to come back in early January. He mentioned banding as being a possibility..but the first CRS is so highly rated by patients and doctors alike and advised me to have the surgery (though he didn't say I needed it right away).
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict