Upcoming Hemorrhoidectamy

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Re: Upcoming Hemorrhoidectamy

Postby JonnyJ » 21 Nov 2014, 11:14

If painful hemorrhoids have been present for a few weeks, what is the chance they will shrink at all or the immense pain with bowel movements decrease? If I thought they would get better a bit on their own, I wouldn't have the surgery because it sounds worse than the ailment.
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 11

Postby Savaici » 21 Nov 2014, 16:01

It is not common for hemorrhoids to remain painful for a period of time. When I had the strangulated hem I could not have gone without seeing the doctor and having the surgery, but it was TRULY AGONY. I had it done as an emergency surgery. I have hemorrhoids now, but they are livable with. They bleed, sometimes profusely, but the are not immensely painful by any stretch of the imagination, or noton a regular basis. If it is so bad, and not decreasing, then maybe it's better to bite the bullet and have it done.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby JonnyJ » 21 Nov 2014, 17:30

It only hurts when passing stool & it's quite sharp but it goes away with warm water and within a few minutes..doent hurt any other time..This has gone on for about a week and a half..the external one. I'll probably have it done but I may wait an extra week or two before I do to see if it gets any better itself first.
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 21 Nov 2014, 23:59

Jonny, I have had many a thrombosed hemmie clear up on its own. You just may be left with a skin tag after. I found hot soaks really did the trick for me.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby JonnyJ » 22 Nov 2014, 13:02

msimon thanks for the comment, and thanks everyone else..I am doing the sitz baths and regular soakings. The worst part is the throbbing that happens after bowel movements. Warm water makes it stop. And thankfully it doesnt last long. Msimon, how long did your thrombosids usually last before they got better? Right now mine is only really painful when I go, and it's sore too down there. I think it's shrunk a little bit. It seems to have started inside a few weeks ago then it popped outside and that's when it hurt the worst. I've used witch hazel pads too they seem to help a bit. Right now my inclination is to put off the hemorrhoidectamy until after thanksgiving and see if I improve any on my own and if it basically hasn't got much better then I'll just have the surgery in December before xmas..The first CRS said to have a hemorrhoidectamy, the second one said I need not go that far just yet..so I'll give it a week or two more and if not much better I'll just do it and be done with it.
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 22 Nov 2014, 16:23

I think it is said that the clot should be reabsorbed within 2 weeks. When did you first notice it?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby JonnyJ » 23 Nov 2014, 11:15

It's been not quite 2 weeks since I've had the pain. So not too long. The last few days the pain when I go is less intense but still throbbing. I'm doing all I can to try and heal it myself. I've had pain for about 4 weeks but I think it started out as internal and worked it's way outside and became external and thrombosid and that's when the severe pain started about a week and a half ago. The first CRS told me it's unlikely it would get better on it's own...but the second CRS told me since I hadn't had it long it would be worth waiting to let it heal first. As of now it's better but still quite bothersome, not as bad though as it was a few days ago. So thrombosid hemorrhoids do actually heal? I'm still wondering should I give it time to see or just have a hemorrhoidectamy. I don't want to be dealing with this on and off forever. But as of now I'm going to see how I do the next few days and if it's still an issue I'll just have the removal.
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 23 Nov 2014, 14:32

Jonny, read this as i think it gives a good idea of when a hemorrhoid surgery is necessary, and when not. One thing about hemorrhoids: everyone gets them!

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/hemorrhoids/
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby JonnyJ » 29 Nov 2014, 18:40

So I decided to put off the operation last week. I had noticed that about two weeks after the very painful bowel movements began, they started to feel better and the swelling on the external roid went down. I used sitz baths regularly and also cold compresse and witch hazel pads. I also began taking extra light olive oil with most meals. I figured it might lube me up so as to make the stool softer. I also take 2 Colace a day. I still have a bit of throbbing & spasms down there but it's better than it was a few days ago. I'm thinking the thombosed roid if that's what it was has gone down or nearly away. I'm still wondering what the one CRS told me tho..he said it was unlikely to go away & advised me to have a hemorrhoidectamy. Well it seems to have lessened a bit so what did he mean? Today I noticed some spotting again. Not major. But with bowel movement and some light discharge for about an hour or two after. I still don't know what to do..do I keep being hypervigilant & hope I can putoff the hemorrhoidectamy awhile or do I bite the bullet and do it and be done with it? What do you guys advise me to do? I'm 32 and am dealing with an anxiety disorder and some other emotional problems and this is adding to the stress. I feel better than I did a few days ago the intense pain has gotten better but I'm still having spotting and I'd just like to be where I don't have to constantly obses and worry over my butt & my next bowel movement.
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict

Postby tll » 29 Nov 2014, 23:20

I had this surgery done a few years ago and its very painful and I have had a lot of surgeries this one is by far the most painful one I have had. My pain lasted about 4 days then after that it was tolerable.
tll
Salt Bather

Topics: 3