Advice needed following surgery

Fistula and fissure

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Advice needed following surgery

Postby Asore Arseagain2 » 27 Nov 2014, 11:12

Hello All,

Its been sometime since I logged in as Ive had trouble getting back onto the forum. I had to re register with a new email address to get back in. I am quite desperate for some advice. I had my fistula laid open two days ago. I was told that in the process of laying it open they found.....yes....another fissure !! Likely to have been caused by the seton i had! Anyway, i am trying to keep the wound clean, but at the same time i have been prescribed GTN cream (rectogesic) for the fissure, but i am anxious about applying this cream whilst my fistula has just been laid open and not wanting to get an infection in the wound left by the fistula. Should i hold off before i start using the gtn for the fissure, or should i start using it straight away? Any thoughts about this would be great. Thanks AA
Asore Arseagain2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Advice needed following surgery

Postby hopefulbutt » 27 Nov 2014, 20:54

So sorry to hear Asore. I also have a seton in with a healing abscess hole and my fissure retore. I called my crs and am using diltiazem cream. She said it was safe even with the open wound down there. Sucks doesn't it? I just make sure I'm as clean as I can before putting the cream on the fissure area. It does get in the abscess hole some but I figure it all has to heal- so the blood flow part is good right? Anyway, I hope this helps. God be with you and your bum
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

Re: Advice needed following surgery

Postby Asore Arseagain2 » 28 Nov 2014, 09:51

Hi HFB,

Many thanks for your response. Yes it does suck!!!!! Ok that sounds good to me, and yes it will help with blood flow. however, I'm now having a massive reaction to rectogesic(which i have used on and off over the years), maybe ive lost my tolerance to it!? I am having sledge hammer headches thatlast several hours and severe nausea..... Ive looked up the meds you are on but it looks unavail in the uk, but something called anoheal maybe avail, i need to make an appt with the docs i guess. I did feel quite downhearted after this recent surgery as i thought that would be it. They said the fissure was likely caused by the seton! I feel i am going round in circles this last 15 yrs of fissure and then fistula and then fissure. The surgeons said they have done all they can for me...not safe to do anymore surgery on me. Its hard to know what to do for the best..i had a small walk today to try to increase blood flow, at the same time i dont want to aggravate the wound since surgery was just two days ago....

I hope things are going well for you. Thanks AA
Asore Arseagain2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6