drainage post fistulotomy/rash

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

drainage post fistulotomy/rash

Postby raven42 » 22 Nov 2014, 17:21

Hi all,
Had a fistulotomy about 2.5 weeks ago and the drainage has caused the area right under my anus to become raw, red and painful. Ive tried keeping it dry, zinc oxide creams, and baby powder, but can't seem to get ahead of it. Has this happened to anyone else? any advice?

Any and all words of wisdom are much appreciated! This has been a painful and frustrating chapter of life!
raven42

Topics: 1

Re: drainage post fistulotomy/rash

Postby Dewlilly » 23 Nov 2014, 15:41

Hi Raven42 ... welcome to the site it is very useful and supportive .. I had a fistlotomy and a seton ,, i had drainage all the way through the ordeal however i wore gauze pads lightly taped... i would put the gauze between the cheeks and then a small piece of tape to keep in place... my doc had suggested i wear femine pads and no dressing but that actually caused a lot of discomfort so i went back to wearing a dressing .....the drainage should slow with time not sure if you are already doing sitz baths but they are a huge help .. these chapters in our lives are not only frustating but makes you feel alone not too many people talk about these things .... so here is where you can come and vent, scream, ask away and there are no holds bars .. no words are TMI either lol ... chin up you are on the road to recovery ... keep us updated :)
Dewlilly
Salt Bather

Postby tll » 26 Nov 2014, 21:26

Yes, the drainage will cause a constant rash and redness. I have had a fistula for 15 months and praying this is the end of it. I just had my drain removed yesterday I had it in for almost a year. I wore feminine pads the whole time I tried gauze and wasn't comfortable to me so I stuck with the pads instead. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask I have had about every fistula surgery there is and some more than once and the latest was a Ileostomy which I am getting reversed at the end of December.( Dr did that so I had no feces irritating the fistula). Now, just waiting to see if the where the drain was closes up without any other problems.
tll
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby tll » 26 Nov 2014, 21:28

And there is a cream you can buy at Walgreens its Calmoseptine and it works really good and is made for fistula drainage.
tll
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby raven42 » 30 Nov 2014, 18:06

Thank you guys! Really appreciate it. Unfortunately got a a bad rash at the drainage site, think its yeast. What a bummer. Will definitely try out the pads and the calmoseptine. Appreciate the words of comfort as well. Its nice to know that Im not the only one going through this.
raven42