Question about LIS - and a hemmie..

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Question about LIS - and a hemmie..

Postby soey » 19 Dec 2014, 09:40

So after almost a year of fissurepain, I've decided to do the surgery in January. It keeps healing, then tearing, healing, tearing.. you know how it goes.
Botox did help for about two months, then it was back to painful BM's again.. And soreness. After the botox stopped working, I've gotten a hemmie(external) that hurts alittle. My CRS says she has to either remove the hemmie(surgery) BEFORE having LIS done, OR put a band on it AND do the LIS at the same time as banding it.

My question is; My hemmie comes and goes, but it shows up mostly when I have to push during a BM. If I dont have to push, it will slowly go away(Usually).
Why cant I get LIS first, then see if the hemmie goes away by itself!? Will it get worse once the internal sphincter muscle is relaxed?

My CRS swears its because the muscles are weak that i get the freakin' hemmie(s)(botox), But I've had hemmies before - they always come during straining on the toilet.. I'm so fed up with all of this. So scared I'm gonna wake up at the hospital in january only to discover they did NOT DO THE LIS. Yes that has happened to me THREE times now.

Hope someone has some answers! :thankyou:
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 18

Re: Question about LIS - and a hemmie..

Postby msimon » 19 Dec 2014, 17:30

I am confused why your Doctor would be doing LIS is they say your muscles are so weak...

I, personally wouldn't think anything about getting the hemmie banded during the LIS. Banding is really very minor and I would rather have it dealt with at the same time because if it were to flare up after the surgery you would be stuck with it until you heal and can go in there again. I had an internal hemmie cauterized with my LIS. The pain from the incision masked the pain from that I am sure.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby soey » 20 Dec 2014, 03:13

No the muscles are too tight, she agrees with that. But she says hemmies is a 'sideaffect' when the muscles are relaxed. I knew botox could upset the hemmies, but I didnt know it was because of the muscles being relaxed. Strange, because I've read a few stories on this forum about botox irritating the hemmies, but They didnt have any problems with hemmies after having LIS done..
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 18

Postby msimon » 20 Dec 2014, 04:21

This is so interesting. I was curious of the same thing myself. My Doctors always said that it's the tight muscles that cause the hemmies by preventing blood flow. Yet, other people postulate that they become more prevalent with age due to weakening muscles and how that prevents them from being properly supported. Then there is my husband who has a bit of a loose butt who has never had a hemmie in his life. His Mother also has a loose butt and isn't bothered by them. Yet, nearly every time I got botox into the pelvic floor I would have a flare up of some sort. When it wore off they went away. I have concluded that the botox affects the venous structures themselves. Vascular tissue has muscle in it and I believe that the botox affects this directly, causing the hemmies' walls to weaken and enabling them to swell. I also have not heard of LIS causing the same trouble and I'm not sure how things are for me yet but I do still feel swollen in there...definitely different from botox though. I think your Doctor could be right if you are talking about a lot of relaxation down there, but not a normal amount of relaxation, which is supposed to be what the goal is...
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64