Hemorrhoid questions

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Hemorrhoid questions

Postby Pamplemousse » 22 Dec 2014, 14:22

Hello, I have tried googling this but can't seem to get a definitive answer. I was wondering, is it possible for a hemorrhoid to swell up and go down again, sometimes within one day or even within one hour?

I have been having major problems with anal swelling but the swelling comes and goes. Sometimes I will have it in the morning, and it will be gone by the evening. When it is there it looks like a big lump on the outer edge of the anus. Sometimes it is so big it covers the anus! :oops: It can't be pushed inside and doesn't feel as if it is coming from inside. Does this sound like a hemorrhoid?

I have been examined multiple times but the swelling has never been present during an exam. If it is a hemorrhoid that keeps swelling and reducing (if this is possible), would it still be detectable in its reduced state?

Thanks!
Pamplemousse
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Hemorrhoid questions

Postby msimon » 22 Dec 2014, 21:08

I think it is possible that an internal hemorrhoid may be doing this but I don't have personal experience with that. Why can't it be pushed inside? Is it too large? Or too hard? When they examine you do they do a scope of some sort? When does it swell and when does it reduce? That is, are there any activities that may be related? Standing, BM, etc.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Re: Hemorrhoid questions

Postby Pamplemousse » 23 Dec 2014, 07:20

I have been to my GP this morning who says I have a perianal haematoma. This is sometimes referred to as a thrombosed external haemorrhoid, but technically that isn't correct. It's actually a kind of blood blister. And my doctor says it can come and go. Most will resolve on their own so my GP has told me to use lidocaine cream to sooth it and to lay down as much as possible to decrease the pressure on it. I think if it doesn't go away they can do a procedure to drain the blood.
Pamplemousse
Salt Bather

Topics: 11